Accidentally Bought Medicated Feed-Will It Harm Adult Layers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BeckyLa, Jul 14, 2008.

1. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Since I have Juvys in with my adult layers I decided to by starter/grower for them all, just for a few months till the young ones get old enough for layer feed. Since I have been unhappy with the Purina in my area, I tried a new feed store that carries Nutrena feeds. Then today, a week later, I sat down to compare the tags from the two feeds and realized (duh) that the guy had given us the medicated (Amprolium) feed instead of the regular. Yes, I know, I should have checked at the time but my mind was on other things we were out doing and I just didn't think. So, will the Amprolium hurt my adult birds? Do I just toss the eggs as long as they are on it? Or, [​IMG] , is it ok and all is well????

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Can you take the bag back and exchange it? If not you can still eat the eggs. It's fine.

3. BeckyLa

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    No, it's open and in the barrel. But it's ok? They won't keel over and I won't poison my egg customers?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Lots of people feed only medicated feeds and eat the eggs every day.

5. NS2A

NS2A Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2007
    Minnesota
    Isn't the medicated feed CHICK food? Mine is. They have different protein contents and say NOT to feed to layers at all.

6. BeckyLa

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Thank you Miss Prissy. Now I can relax. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by