accidentally duck egg ?? or large chickeneggs ??

strangeanimal

Songster
Mar 21, 2017
Belgium
Hi ,

Few days ago I went to buy some eggs from a local farmer here in the area , he has ducks , chickens goose and whatever kind of birds all together and the eggs were being said " not fertile " because the rooster was too small and he wouldn't make any fertile eggs , now I buy my eggs there because our project is finally done , well atleast for me and a few others . we managed to get a big succes in rehoming the ex battery girls and people went nuts over it , so I even ended up rehoming the hens I had chosen to be part of my flock but I am more aiming it for the dual purpose breeds like before and we shared a lot of fun but they got so wanted they also left and are rehomed in the best place I could think of , which left me for now without chickens ofcourse and I saw the opportunity to finally start making a good total clean up and make over and some rest BUT here is the thing : they claimed , where I purchase my eggs as I refuse to eat storebought eggs , due its disgusting taste and because HOW the eggs were " harvested " these eggs couldn't possibly be fertile , now I just randomly took an egg and guess what was very present ? indeed the cells , the second egg I cracked just the same , all for sure fertile ! So I told them " uh with all do respect sir , but you happen to have no need for a new rooster AND you can perfectly set your broody ones ! the eggs ARE fertile , noticed that white in the eggs when you used them in the kitchen ?? it is for sure fertile ! " their reply : only my wife cracks the eggs as I work with the animals and she is not into my hobby so I have broken all the broody hens ! can you please hatch them out ? I am willing to give you some more eggs every week for free !
my reply again " uhm : I do not have good experiences with that and I do not own an incubator honestly , well I do but it does need to be repaired a elektricity bill if I use the working one I made myself goes so high up "

now I got offered that they will pay my elektricity cost the first of the next month ( they pay me over 20 ! ) so I just took it , that money is always welcome , they do not have an incubator and their chickens do not tend to go broody anymore given the time of the year so they are just curious that their roo indeed did a good job before making a definitive decision , now these are quite large eggs and they all vary in colour , weight , and even hard to tell which is the pointy side and which is the side with the airpocket as it is just round , so do I accidentally have some duck eggs as well ??
from the 10 eggs I have left 5 and all look so different , but now here is my issue : I have never owned a duck yet but could I be having accidentally a duck egg ??? It is more round than like any other egg , wish I could upload a pic but just lost my USB connector somewhere ...
second thing is : what IF it is a duck egg ? and it gets incubated ? because their rooster can jump on all the female creatures there , is that a cross between a duck and a chicken ??? or is that one just impossible to be fertile at all ? and what does a duck egg distuingish from a chicken egg please ??

I'm a bit confused...What white part are you talking about to think the eggs are fertile?...In the yolk if fertile? Will be a bullseye, a white circle..
Ducks can't cross with Chickens or visa versa ..Duck eggs are bigger with a thicker rougher shell..Chicken eggs are smooth. Goose eggs are much larger...

hi sorry no can not upload anything at all , seems my kid or man accidentally took my Usb connector instead of their own . I will have to wait because I have indeed taken pics of all the eggs

About the white part when I opened up an egg : it has like those white threads over the yolk ( I think that were two and in the middle you notice a white little spot that I once noticed on someone 's youtube vid explaining wether an egg is fertile and when it is not and she showed the same thing about the yolk and the white spot-thing and said that the white spot would be visible after a few days of hatching by pro's that hatch eggs during candling and showed pictures in the video of such an egg being incubated after 3 days , then opened up one of those and it just looked like that , could I be wrong ?? was she wrong ? I would not have noticed on my own honestly

Actually... a chicken and a duck MIGHT be able to have a fertile egg hatch. They are close enough in species, but the offspring would be sterile. Just like when you cross a horse and donkey to get mule. But a duck egg will take much longer to hatch than a chicken egg.

Chicken eggs can be rounded and quite large. It depends on the individual really. My silkie eggs are very round just like you describe. And I have gotten a chicken egg up to 104 grams! Though it isn't my norm.

Hard to say about the you tube video... there is no requirement of real knowledge to post a video about anything you want to! :confused:

fertvsunfert.jpg

:th
Actually... a chicken and a duck MIGHT be able to have a fertile egg hatch. They are close enough in species, but the offspring would be sterile. Just like when you cross a horse and donkey to get mule. But a duck egg will take much longer to hatch than a chicken egg.

Chicken eggs can be rounded and quite large. It depends on the individual really. My silkie eggs are very round just like you describe. And I have gotten a chicken egg up to 104 grams! Though it isn't my norm.

Hard to say about the you tube video... there is no requirement of real knowledge to post a video about anything you want to! :confused:

fertvsunfert.jpg
Totally impossible ....:thThe two species can not cross..Drakes have a penis and Roosters do not...

fertvsunfert.jpg

x2 :goodpost:

One more thing, my duck eggs are kinda waxy feeling. their bloom is a bit different than a chicken. And a very large egg could be a double yolk, which you probably would not want to incubate.
Instead of wasting them all by cracking them open, stick some in the incubator! You should know fertility within 7 days, usually by day 4 with a good bright light.

Back
Top Bottom