Accidentally fed medicated feed for too long!

Branch Chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
China, Maine
I was just doing some research to find out when I should discontinue medicated feed for my "chicks" and learned that I've been feeding it to them for far too long. They're 17 weeks!
Have I done any harm? I could have sworn that the early research I did said to feed them the same food up until I switched over to layer, but now I see that one bag of medicated feed would have been sufficient.
If I switch today, should things work out fine? They're all heavier, dual purpose breeds, and aren't due to lay until closer to 22+ weeks. My 3 Easter Eggers may be the only exception.

Last edited:
Don't worry, it is fine. Many people do just feed medicated feed until their birds are 6-8 weeks old, but just as many continue feeding medicated feed until they are older. I personally fed my hens medicated feed right up to the point when one of them laid her first egg. They suffered no adverse affects, and I don't think the medication carried into the eggs at all.

Enjoy your hens, and their future eggs!
smile.png

Thank you for the reassurance! We are so looking forward to eggs, but I am pleasantly surprised by how much we just love to watch our chickens. They've added so much to the household/homestead dynamic.

I agree you did them no harm. Medicated feed is practically always medicated with Amprolium, which is not an antibiotic. It is specifically there to reduce how much the parasite that caused Coccidiosis breeds so they can develop immunity to it. They are fine.

I agree. Chicken TV is much better programming that regular TV.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom