Accidentally hatched egg UPDATE

Chiqualetta

Chirping
Jan 14, 2019
Missouri
*sigh*
Long story short.

Day 26: 4/29

Momma got off this egg and two others 2.5 days ago, All other eggs were hatched 4 days ago.
I whipped up a DIY incubator *tote, heating pad, damp towel and thermometer* as best as I could and put the 3 abandoned eggs in them in. Nothing.
I didn’t think the chick was even alive anymore, no piping, no noise, no movement when candling.

fast forward to 2 hours ago.

Cracked the egg. Chick was alive. Yolk sac mostly absorbed but lots of veins still attached to egg, which I left connected. Trying my best to keep everything moist and as warm as possible. I feel awful.
The chick is moving (not standing), still wet, eyes open and chirping.

I’m at a total loss on what I should do now.
26 DAYS?!?

please don’t make me feel any worse 😞definitely wasn’t my intention to cause any harm.

Update : as of this morning the chick is still alive,will move legs around but has not changed positions. Chirps and absorbed yolk sac but still attached to egg by veins.

what should I expect to happen today? Anything advice is appreciated

Attachments

• 69A83D91-0A02-4665-9171-1789BFEAEEE1.jpeg
    69A83D91-0A02-4665-9171-1789BFEAEEE1.jpeg
    618.8 KB · Views: 59
  • A4D7E2E4-0DA6-4521-86E6-6503E33D35AF.jpeg
    A4D7E2E4-0DA6-4521-86E6-6503E33D35AF.jpeg
    554.9 KB · Views: 25
You don't need to feel awful- you were doing what you were to try and help, not harm. It is likely the outcome without you would have already been death for this chick. Unfortunately, as I am sure you are aware, things don't look so good right now. I have a lot of hatching experience, but not with this specific issue (vein still connected with chick out of the egg). Hopefully someone can offer more guidance. If the chick dies though, it sucks, it feels terrible- but not your fault, and just keep your head up and keep chickening.

Chicks seems a little more lively this afternoon. Still not getting up but has open its eyes a few times when I talk to it. Should I keep in homemade incubator or put under heat lamp? Also feathers are still pretty slicked down.
Let it try. I have had worse make it. I had a few really expensive eggs and one was having trouble. I wasn't home, so sad helped it. It came out just like that. He sat for 3 days absorbing and he made it! I was mad at my dad for a while, lol. Give yours a chance. You may not have the same outcome, but I would let it try. Good luck, my fingers are crossed!

The chick is up and moving 😳 I am actually shocked. It even took off running from me!

Gave some yolk last night and washed him (because I’m 100% sure it’s a rooster) off because he his feathers were hard and stuck to him. Band aid around his legs because he has slight splayed legs. 🤞🤞 he pulls through for me to cuss out for being a jerk later in his life lol

Back
Top Bottom