Accidently hurt chicken by syringing water?

khuck1a

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Hi everyone,

I learned yesterday that one of my Buff Orps has Cocc. I purchased some Corid for treatment. I decided that I would syringe some of the medicated water through the mouth because I was afraid that she was quite hydrated. She has been lethargic and has hardly eaten or had anything to drink. Now, I'm concerned that by trying to do the right thing, I accidently did the wrong thing and may now have gotten water into her lungs. I'm feeling pretty lousy about the possibility. Any suggestions on what I should do now?

Thanks so much.

Kim

So sorry, it is easy to make that mistake. You can try to hold her in your hands and support her neck, and gently rock her then a quick shake downward, then stop and repeat and see if anything comes up... If not and you here gurgling in her lungs, I would put her on antibiotics incase she develops phenomena. If you have a bird that won't drink or swallow, mix 1/4 vitamin to 3/4 water and put in 3cc syringe with small needle, pull up skin on chickens neck and inject right under the skin. They will absorb the fluid.

Thanks for the replies. Is there a time frame for when I might hear gurgling in the lungs? Do I need to use a stethescope to hear that? Will it happen right away or does it take a couple of days? The good news is, she is eating some but still mostly sleeping. Would she be able to eat if she had fluid in her lungs? I have some antibiotic, Duramycin. Would it be safe to mix that in with the Corid or wait to give until after the Corid treatment? This is the first time I've gone through this so thank you again for the help.

Kim

Put her on some anitbiotics just in case you did get some in her lungs..
there is nothing that you can do now... just wait and see...

Back
Top Bottom