1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Accidently incubated eggs for a few hours may kill them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oceanic109, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Oceanic109

Oceanic109 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2012
    FL
    So I have this new hen who is currently laying her egg clutch in a nesting box in which I am hoping she goes broody on her clutch after laying all of the eggs completely. Right now she has 3 eggs but then a other hen who got kicked out of her nesting box decided to incubate the 3 eggs for about 3-8 hours, we do not know if she went broody on them overnight or during the morning but we are unsure of whether to kick her off the box so the new hen can continue laying her egg clutch or keep the hen broody on the hens eggs. We only have 2 nesting boxes, trying to get another one soon and do not know if we can take the hen off the new hens eggs because we do not want the eggs to die. I really need some help on this dilemma! All information on this would be appreciated please!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Hi, a third nest box is a good idea. If I understand you, you are fairly certain that one hen is broody and another is thinking about it? The one who is broody, you could let keep her eggs. Take away new eggs from the other for a few days, give them to the more serious hen or keep them ready to put under which ever hen stays in the box for 2 days and nights straight.(use fake eggs or golf balls for the one you are unsure about) Neither hen will be serious until she thinks she has "enough" eggs. What "enough" is, varies but for a standard it'll be around 8 give or take. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by