Accidently set a double yolker....what now?

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I set a bunch of eggs on the 26th. Candled a couple last night just for kicks and realized one of the big ones is a double yolker. And has veins already. There are 8 other "big ones" that I have not yet candled, and now I wonder if they might be double yolkers also. I just thought that girl laid big eggs?

Should I pull the egg now while it is early? seems like it does not have much of a chance of hatching....?

My curiosity would get the better of me and I would leave it in, since you saw that it is developing.

Let us know how it turns out.
smile.png

Almost all dbl yolker's never hatch or if they do only one does and they rarely make it. It is up to you as far as what you want to do. I pull mine as soon as I find out.

AL

I have been told that a double yoker will be a deformed chick,

like 3 legs or 2 heads etc.

If it was mine I would not hatch it only to cull it later.

My curiosity would get the better of me and I would leave it. It's rare for both to hatch alive and even rarer for them to live for more than a few days. Normally one will develop at the small end of the egg and will have trouble hatching e.g. they cant push the egg out the way, or one may get crushed at the end.

Go to You Tube...do a search for twin chicks hatching you can see a video....

check this out...this is a huge egg I had my hen lay...and when I first check it out...I swore I saw two...dark yolks in it...now I see two dark spots

fluke or not???

36033_candeling2.jpg

Well, mine is a big egg as compared to the others I have, but not really all that big. I can't imagine hatching out two chicks from it. They will be banty sized if they can fit in the same egg. And the rooster is a Jersey Giant, so they should be larger than normal. I plan on candling all the big eggs tonight and will pull the ones that are doubles. I have more than enough eggs in this current batch and do not want to attempt one that will only be culled later (if it even makes it).

Do you normally candle before setting to rule out double yolkers? This girl just started laying 8/12, and I set eggs from 8/18-8/26, so she may just still be working out the kinks.

I would have to pull it, personally. I could not stand the heartbreak of a disastrous hatch of dead or dying/deformed needing to be culled chicks. I would save myself this pain, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom