Acckkk!

ScienceTchr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Sebec, ME
My brinsea mini incubator had the turner set to on instead of auto. I was gone on lockdown day and didn't realize it was set to that so my co-worker who put the eggs in lockdown for me didn't know he had to set the turner off (totally my fault not his). Today is day 21 and they've been turned every half hour until about 8 this morning. Are they goners?

Turning won’t hurt them. They don’t really have to be turned after about 14 days but it’s convenient to stop turning them when we go into lockdown, so that’s the standard. You don’t want to be opening the incubator during lockdown because of the humidity. With most incubators it’s good to remove the turners before hatch because it’s a lot easier to clean them before the hatched chicks crawl all over them and mess them up. You don’t want an automatic turner moving during the hatch because a chick could get caught and injured by the moving part.

But just because you don’t need to turn them doesn’t mean that turning hurts. If they are goners it’s not because of the turning.

Great thank you! I see a few wigglers so I am hoping that means we'll get some pipping at some point today. I set them at 9am 21 days ago so hopefully today I'll see some action.

Back
Top Bottom