Acclimating an Adult Duck back to Winter Temps - Advice Please

3bird

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 2, 2017
Rockland, Maine
My Coop
My Coop
Angus is an almost two-year old silver Appleyard Drake who has been living inside for a couple days after a prolapsed penis incident, which you can read about here. After consulting again with the vet today, she said we could try moving him back with the flock since everything has remained normal. He is in great physical condition according to our vet based on his exam last week, and he is eating and drinking well (and ready to be back with his girls!).

The concern, of course, is two fold: 1) Will the problem present again when he is reintroduced to his girls, and 2) He's been living inside for a few days and it's cold out--how will he re-acclimate?

On the first question, time will tell. We'll observe and take the appropriate action (bringing him back inside if we have another prolapse). On the second question, what do you all suggest? He's been living in about 60F for the past few days, and this is what the forecast looks like for the next week:

Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 5.34.18 PM.png

As you can see, after Monday, we're not expecting to get above freezing until next Sunday, but the overnight temperatures are pretty moderate except for Wednesday and Thursday.

Do we bring him out for just the day to start? Or given that tomorrow night is supposed to be pretty mild (30F), do we move him out with his girls tomorrow morning and let him stay out tomorrow night and through Monday and see how he does? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

If the professionals say you can let him out then let him out! :D
To be clear, the vet said he could be returned to the flock (with observation) insofar as the prolapsed penis is concerned. She did say we may have to consider acclimatization because of the temperature differential.

They have a house they sleep in at night, yes? I think I would be tempted to put him out and keep an eye on him.
Yes. They have an unheated/uninsulated duckhouse with wood shavings and straw for bedding. The attached run, to which they generally have 24/7 access is wrapped on three+ sides with plastic for winter, so they have good protection from wind. We do not provide any supplemental heat.

Make sure that there are fresh water and food in the duck house every day; just putting that out there.
Thanks!

We have cameras on the duckhouse and run! :)

We never put food or water in the duckhouse, but they have 24/7 access to both in the run except for on the coldest nights.

Back
Top Bottom