Acclimating dogs to chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Holyhabanero, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Holyhabanero

Holyhabanero Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2010
    I'm sure this topic has already been covered, but I must be using the wrong search terms as I can't find anything about it, so sorry if this is a repeat,

But I have just got six baby chicks, and I have a Rottweiler/German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix, that is still a little on the hyper side and I want to teach her that chickens are our friends, not food.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about it?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  2. myloveforchickens

myloveforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Sandpoint, ID
    The way I did it was bring your dog with you when you go visit the chicks. Let her smell them while you hold each chick, if she gets to excited, correct her, and try again. Or put her on a leash and when you do let the chicks out in the yard ( if you do) then let her be with them that way. On the leash and you there.

You never really know about how your dogs will do around chickens. My border-Australian Shepherd mix did very well with my two batch of chicks. Its her job now to protect them when they are out grazing.

3. sadies0111

sadies0111 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    I have a young labradoodle, that gets so excited when he sees the chickens, so lately i've been tying him up in a spot that he can see them free-ranging to get him more used to being around them. I hope it works!

4. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Here is a good youtube clip of Cesar Milan and how he helped a dog overcome her prey drive and become peaceful with chickens. Of course, he makes it look easy! I plan to acclimate my dogs to our chickens the same way I acclimated them to my babies when I brought them home. The dogs were not allowed to so much as sniff my kids without my permission and we trained them to give the kids a lot of space. It's probably easier with babies than it will be with chickens, because babies don't flap and squawk!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by