Acclimation to free ranging

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BrianT, May 19, 2010.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I set up a temporary play area outside the coop door today to get the chickens used to getting out. There are 3 4.5 week old s and 2 6.5 week olds. Only one of the little ones went out for just a minute and then back in. Will they need a few days to get used to the idea? Thanks.

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Yes, they will need time. Right now, inside is familiar, outside is a bit scary. Just leave the door open and let them explore on their own terms. They will soon grow to love running about outside!

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That's fine to get them use to free ranging that way. But I would most definitely not actually let them free range at this age. They are far too small, easily picked off by predators right now. I'd wait until they are more "chicken sized"...maybe 14 weeks.

4. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Thank you and yes we will wait until they are bigger to let them freely roam.

5. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    Our youngest are 1 month old and free ranging BUT We have a large flock, and very small if any of a predator problem. Plus ours stay mixed into the flock pretty well, not much for venturing out into the open. They're coop is right under a HUGE Mesquite tree so they are pretty comfortable staying under it. We still pen em at night, and do hourly head counts of the small ones. 4.5 weeks is still just a little to young. Our rule that we use is if they are small enough to fit through the chain link fencing then they're to small to free range. It works haven't lost one yet. You notice I said yet? You never know. So give em a few more days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by