Accurate ways to sex chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mother o' chicks72, Jan 12, 2012.

1. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    What are the most accurate ways to sex young (1 week and younger) chicks? So what breeds can be color sexed? Which old wives tales really work? Feather sexing? Etc.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    some breeds are autosexing by colours, some you can make yourself, like using barred hens or silver/ gold mating.

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Feather sexing only works if they have been bred purposely to be feather-sexed. And it only works for a few breeds.

4. Guinea and Chicken raiser

Guinea and Chicken raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2012
    Northern Louisana
    stores, places to order chicks, usually sell day-old chicks. and they can offer sexing.

So, I should not be wrong when it's perfectly a good time to sex your baby chicken when it's just hatched. I did with mine. I got 4 male and 2 female. I knew that from venting. It's the most accurate way to find out.

I waited, and that's the only other thing you can do and watch how they develope. males grow their crowns faster, theirs comes up first. according to that, I have def. 2 females and 3 males and one was iffy, it may actually be a 3rd girl. but then a few days after that, I notice the tail, some have longer, and that has to be males. so 4 males, and 2 girls.... ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by