Accurite & humidity issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rarebreedeggs4u, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    I'm new here [​IMG]

I have an older GQF 1202 incubator. I have been using 2 of the indoor/outdoor Accu-rite thermometers/hygrometers. When I started my incubator back up yesterday the room air humidity was reading 78%. After 24 hours at around 100 degrees, the humidity in the incubator was still at only (average, they are 7 percent off of each other @@) 41%.

It has an automatic water system. Even in past hatches, with both humidity pads in and water condensed on the inner door, the humidity reading on BOTH accu-rites never got above 58% or so. The top and bottom center vents are halfway open. All right and left side top & bottom vents are closed.

I find it hard to believe that the humidity, with that much moisture present, is not *really* a lot higher. The probes are placed alongside the eggs in the egg trays.

Any ideas or advice? Are there more accurate thermometer/hygrometers I can try? I did try the wet bulb method on my last hatch, with a new probe from GQF and it reads WAY high, with a thermometer right next to it reading way low (according to the accu-rite and a mercury 'bator thermometer...ugh).

Right now the Accu-rites read 99.3 & 99.7 degrees and humidity of 37% and 43%. The wet bulb thermometer reads 108!

I'm stumped...

2. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    I am so glad you posted this, I have just started up my first LG incubator for the first time a few hours ago, and the humidity has not changed in the least, at 99.8% after a few hours I assumed it would go up at least a few points. I to am using a acurite meter.

I came here to address the very issue.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The wet bulb thermometer reads 108!

108? Degrees? [​IMG]
    Sounds to me like its the one with issues.​

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Theres a wet salt test to calibrate them... Maybe someone has a link to it.

5. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:108? Degrees? [​IMG]
    Sounds to me like its the one with issues.

I agree, but it's new?? [​IMG]

I swear if I had the money I'd buy a super, duper, super fantastic all digital incubator.

I bought the second Accu-rite digital because I didn't trust the first one. Condensation on the door and it reads in the 40's-50's for humidity? That just sounds hinkey to me!

My hatches haven't been *bad*, but they could be better.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hopefully, you know that the probe in the AcuRite does NOT read humidity, a common misconception. If you do, then disregard. The entire unit must be in the incubator to read bator humidity.
    I have two AcuRites. One reads 7-10 too low on humidity. You have to calibrate them with wet salt to be sure how much they're off.

7. Ravynwood

Ravynwood Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    omg you are the best! ty for the key information. I knew I wasn't totally crazy.

8. rarebreedeggs4u

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:No, I sure did NOT know that! Thank you! I checked my new hygrometer today and it's WAY off. I popped my old one in and put the wet bulb sleeve on and got a good reading @@. I think I'll stick with my old one [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by