ACK! Bag of scratch infested with bugs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Aumlet, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Aumlet

Aumlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    I went out to the garage, and heard a rustling sound from an unopened bag of scratch. I checked it over for mouse holes (none) and I opened it .... it is CRAWLING with some kind of insect. The light was somewhat dim and I didn't take the time to identify the freeloaders, but there are a ton.

This is organic scratch, not cheap, and I'd like to save it if I can. Do I use DE? Throw it out bugs and all with the bugs being "bonus" scratch? (Although I'd worry they would multiply and get to the chicken feed or something.)

If I have to get ride of the scratch, so be it, but if anyone has advice I'd appreciate it muchly! [​IMG]

2. Pullet Surprise

Pullet Surprise Chillin' With My Peeps

I am only guessing....but I would think the added bonus of protien would be a good thing. And then I would put DE in it .....hope someone else will reply because I would really like to know as well!

3. Back2MyRoots

Back2MyRoots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Auburn, Alabama
    We had some little flour bugs get in a bag of scratch once. We'd just opened the bag actually so I wondered if they came from the feed store.... It was a 25 lb bag so I put it in a 5 gallon bucket with a top (to keep the little boogers out of my other feed) and mixed a quart mason jar of food-grade DE in to keep it from clumping up and as a bonus it killed the bugs. It never seemed to have any other affects and they finished the bag out, no worries.

4. Aumlet

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    I'll DE it then and see if any of my chickens die. [​IMG]

5. Aumlet

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    The DE seems to have no effect on the little beasts. They appear to be weevils. They can fly, so I'm thinking maize weevils because they are dark in color: http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/weevils-on-stored-grain Could be rice weevils too. Either way, they are (we)evils.

I've scooped all the feed into ziploc bags and sealed them airtight. They won't hurt the chickens, or anyone, but I'd like to make sure they don't carry on in their evil ways and infest new grain. When they've died I'll feed the insect-fortified scratch.

6. Pullet Surprise

Pullet Surprise Chillin' With My Peeps

You could drop the bags in the freezer for 24 hours and that'll do the evil weevil ones in.

7. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I believe DE only works on insects with exoskeletons, not on worms. Any reason to not just give the bugs to the chickens along with the scratch? They will love them.

8. Aumlet

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    I don't want any escaping and laying any eggs. I may be being paranoid, but when I say infestation I mean INFESTATION. When your feed bag is doing the snap, crackle, pop thing you know there's a party going on. The level of infestation was over the top.

So, so wrong.

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I wouldn't use it for a few reasons.

1-Bugs do eliminate waste.
    2-They may effect the nutrition of the feed.
    3-Some bugs are toxic themselves.

A few bugs, I think would be OK, not an infestation.

Imp

10. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    lol. wow. that description is so great. I did not realize it was so bad. I had pictures a few bugs....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by