Ack! Flying.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChelC, Apr 16, 2008.

1. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Should my ten day old chick be flying already? I always assumed they didn't do this until they were a month or so.[​IMG]

Right now I have my chicks in several sterilite tubs with sides about twenty inches high or so. One of my babies just flew out. I'm off to find our roll of fencing and some wire cutters, but wondered - Is this early?

I wonder how many more surprises I'm in store for until these kids can get outside to the coop.

2. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine have been flying about that long. They are moving to their coop shortly. [​IMG]

3. Moonwalker

Moonwalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2008
    Washburn, MO
    I moved mine into a big 4ft long dog crate when they were about a week old and some of the little boogers were flying the length of it!

4. ChelC

ChelC Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    Thanks. I guess I just didn't give it much thought because you always see them in tubs at the feed store. Oh well. Maybe I'll go to home depot and get some stuff to build a big brooder where they can all be together, with a nice hinged wire top. I wish the weather would warm up so I could have the brooder outside.

5. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    My 10-day old chicks are also flying. Looks like they're playing leapfrog as they take turns flying over one another.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh yes they get aerial around then. [​IMG]

7. S0rcy

S0rcy Chillin' With My Peeps

My two week olds played "aerial bombing" with the dog today. They took turns fluttering up and at his nose. They have been fluttering out of their cage every night when I clean up for at least four days

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by