Ack! Hahaha!!! I've got a rocker!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickintexas, May 17, 2010.

1. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    OMG! I was checking on the eggs like I do every time I walk into my room and thought I saw one move a tiny bit. Just as I started thinking to myself, "I'm imagining things. It's only wishful thinking." the little booger of an egg did a huge wiggle!!! I darn near jumped out of my skin!! Scared the crap out of me because I initially didn't believe I really saw it move the first time!! Then I proceeded to do the Happy Dance!! Good thing DH is passed out or he'd be making a few calls to some loony bins!

[​IMG]

2. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    Quote:Too cute..I had to read this to my DH so he could see that I'm not the only one that gets excited! [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] I love when that happens and I am actually there to SEE it!!!

4. chickintexas

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    This is interesting to say the least! I could watch the hatcher for the next few hours instead of being online or watching TV!

I noticed 2 more moving a bit (not imagined, I promise). They weren't due for lockdown until tomorrow but since I candle like crazy, I noticed that these seemed a bit further along than the ones I placed into lockdown yesterday. I'm thinking I made a good decision locking them down tonight.

5. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I started out putting the eggs on their sides and then decided to try the egg carton hatch method. Anyway, when they were on the sides, I would spotlight each egg and when I did that I saw movement from several when the light shined on them.

Since I went to the egg crate, big ends up I haven't seen anything. They're due tomorrow (day 21).

6. TOL Chick

TOL Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Milford, MI
    lol - i'm a first timer, and I was seeing the same thing and of course - imagining it as well. Glad I'm not the only one!

So i'm in lock down, and my first little dude is out - but now i'm panicking because all of a sudden, I'm seeing all these posts about hatchin in egg cartons, and I DON'T HAVE MINE IN CARTONS!

So first man out is doing laps in my incubator [​IMG], knocking everyone else around, and i'm thinking what do I do? leave it be i know is the golden rule, but what about the poor lovies who are not "right-side up?"

words of wisdom are greatly coveted!

7. chickintexas

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    When did your first one pop out? I think it'll be fine for 24 hours (or is it 48?) in the incubator (they ship chicks all the time with no food or water.) Me, personally? I would wait 24 hours and when it's completely dry before taking it out. I plan on taking my bator into a hot steamy bathroom so I can remove any that need to be moved then letting the rest of the eggs finish their business.

So, I did happen to watch the eggs probably much longer than most "sane" people would. I have confirmed 6 movers and shakers. 3 that I had set yesterday and 3 that I set Sunday. How long after they start their little dance should I hear peeping or see a pip? Or is it like everything else...it just depends. [​IMG]

8. TOL Chick

TOL Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Milford, MI
    I think how long it takes from the rocking / peeping stage is the "depends on the egg" answer! I have a staggered hatch of 2 going on, and it was actually the second group I swore was moving yesterday!

Little man was "born" about 5:30 AM today. He pipped, zipped and was out in like 20 minutes. This dude has to be a roo - he is carrying on like a lunatic [​IMG]

I LOVE the steamy shower idea - I just had that suggestion on another thread I started this AM - so I plan to do that tomorrow AM, then move them to the "nursery".

Blessings on you & peeps!

9. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Quote:Me too!! It's such a neat thing, and such a miracle that we're able to put these eggs in a glorified box and watch babies pop out!! Too cool! Mine go into lockdown today and I am sooo excited for that first rock and roll action to start! Go babies!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by