Ack! How much longer can it last???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeffross1968, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    So, you will forgive any typos as my fingers are slippery from the sweat produced from 2 hours of doing the "lay an egg" dance. Yes, an old, Cherokee dance I learned from a guy right down the road...in Cherokee. Strangely enough I had driven my Cherokee there...to meet a Cherokee in Cherokee. Ah well, I digress... [​IMG]

Just a little background info...had a flock, got some new birds...introduced to old flock. New flock all nearly 23 weeks now. 1 has begun laying. The 2 that began laying 2 days before we got them, stopped after laying 2 eggs, and haven't started back up. They have a big new coop/run, that is cleaned out every day by a really obsessive OCD owner. They are on good layer feed, and get "some" treats, though not enough to throw off the internal laying mechanisms. They get to free range every day after noonish. They are happy, they like to jump up on my lap and hang out. But no eggs. No freakin' eggs (from these 5). Now one of them, the Brahma, I hear matures late, and also she had a little illness thingy so she is TOTALLY excused from the whole egg laying thing. But the other 3....oh yes, those 3....a BO (who laid first two days, nothing since), a Speckled Sussex (who laid first two days, nothing since), and an SLW (never laid). Those 3 are in some big trouble...

I have switched most treats to high protein, thinking that would help. Even read some crazy old theories, about sprinkling red pepper flakes into their food, which, from what I can tell, went completely unnoticed. I hang out with them, and talk to them. Long talks...politics, religion, how their cousin tasted last night broiled....but no...no eggs.

So off I went in search of ancient advice. That's the whole, "in my Cherokee, to Cherokee, to meet a Cherokee" annoying thing from above...

And just today, I wrapped my belly (it shakes) tightly in a very nice purple indian blanket (just a note...they really make some nice blankets over there...really nice...), put on my sandles, and began my dance. I think it was about 20 minutes into it when I realized that rather being moved into egg laying trance, they had all been distracted by a tiny moth that couldn't find it's way out of the chain link run. This was not going well. So I got louder. Then I tripped over a chair and decided I had worked up an appetite and here I am.

So, since I've tried everything I, and the Cherokee nation could think of to get my happy chickens laying again....are there any others out there with similar experiences, stressing their chickens from a move just as they begin to lay, stopping the process? How long did it last? Do you have a better dance for me to try?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Perhaps you should try the "no moth" dance first (it involves a honkin' big fly swatter and a squinty eye) then try the egg laying dance ...

3. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Oh lovely. Because I'm told I'm so graceful, I guess I could try...

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    No, but can we get a video of your dance, I think you might be doing it wrong. [​IMG]

You don't say how long you've had the new layers. It isn't uncommon for birds in a new pen/run to stop laying for 2-3 weeks. Other than the chair tipping, which may have caused some alarm, it sounds as though the hens are happy with you, and will eventually begin laying again in their own time.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Could be new surroundings... could be the heat. Are you close to Maggie?

6. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:It's been almost 3 weeks...I've given them till the end of the week before I get REALLY serious...

7. Jeffross1968

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Quote:We've had some pretty decent weather the last week. It is starting to get hot again, but they have tons of shade and water and don't seem to show outward signs of overheating...

And I was going to reply with some witty line about not knowing anyone named Maggie, but that just would have been mean [​IMG] Maggie Valley is right around the corner...probably 20 minutes. We are situated about 15 minutes between Cherokee and Waynesville, up about 4k feet in elevation. We're on a ridge, where we do get direct sun, but lots of places to go for shade. I dunno...

8. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    ...then it should happen soon. Feed only leafy greens (which includes grass clippings) as treats for awhile to be sure you aren't over-treating. Mine are just as thrilled with young dandelion leaves as they are with grains.

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

After posting my question and considering your OP, I was expecting something a little humorous like "yeah, she's my mother-in-law". I used to live between Waynesville and Maggie in the big white house up on the hill behind the furniture store on 19. I built the one next to it. You can only see that one in the winter thru all the trees. Here's a pic of it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  10. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    try cayenne pepper, just a sprinkle or so on the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by