Ack! I am crawling with tiny bugs!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by JessicaGrant, Sep 1, 2008.

1. JessicaGrant

JessicaGrant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    I just managed to pick up my most skittish hen and when I put her down my shirt was crawling with little bugs. I don't know what they are but what can I do about them? Are they harmful to the birds?? This girl has been wearing a saddle since I got her because the others were pecking at her and I only just took it off. Will she be less likely to host these bugs now she isn't wearing it? Thanks!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you think it might be lice?

If she has a parasite infection, you should definitely do something about it. It will jump from her to the other members of your flock, and lice can decimate baby chicks by making them anemic.

3. JessicaGrant

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    Is there a post that describes different pests? They were about a mm (or less) light brown and fairly nondescript. I don't know what lice look like! My girls are between 9 and 19 weeks old. Would they be at risk? Thanks!

4. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Maybe mites. Some people use DE (diatomaceous earth) to control mites, fleas, and lice. They also make poultry spray for this. I know they carry it at Rural King, I've seen it. Tractor Supply probably has something for it too.

5. JessicaGrant

Jun 22, 2008
    Western Mass
    OK, I just took a spoon and used it to sprinkle DE over all my chickens as I put them to bed (does it matter that it wasn't very even?) I hope it helps! That was really disgusting!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by