ACK!!!! I KNEW IT! I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEn! :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenrandomness, May 3, 2011.

1. Put rat poison in the chicken barn last night and locked the chickens in a pen. this morning we locked them out, but somehow, Daisy and Nate got in! we don't know if they ate any, but most likely they did! [​IMG]

is there a way to tell if they ate any?
    does rat poison kill chickens?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Hopefully they didnt ingest any of the poison. It's imperative to watch for odd behavior etc...if you see signs, here's a link for a poultry flush...scroll down to "Laxative Solutions."
    http://www.msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html
    If you have to flush...I highly recommend that after you complete the flush, feed your 2 chickens scrambled egg mixed with buttermilk. The combination will provide extra protein and probiotics to help restore gut flora back to normal.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  3. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Rat poison is usually a blood thinner and causes internal bleeding in the rats. The signs you might see that it is rat poison will be bleeding, possibly intestinal and anywhere else too. I am sure that it will kill a chicken. Even works the same on humans. The antidote is Vitamin K. Unfortunately, I think you would have to get it from a vet. REally sorry, you could try the flush to decrease the amount that is absorbed, but if it was many hours ago, I am not sure if that will do much. I hope you are worrying for nothing. Really sorry!

4. Quote:they were in the barn like, 4 hours ago

5. chickengrl

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    sorry, I am more familiar with human anatomy. I would think that in that amount of time they may have already absorbed it. I am not really sure what the transit time through the gastrointestinal system is in a chicken. You could try the intestinal flush or try to get to a vet for vitamin K. sorry I don't have anything better to say. [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    What brand? What is the ingredient?

7. Quote:i'm not sure, but i know the pellets are green

8. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    You need to call a vet ASAP for the Vitamin K. All small animal vets carry it, for these such emergencies. If the chickens ate it, they will indeed die without the Vitamin K. A flush will not be enough to prevent death when rat poison is ingested.

9. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    what does the vitamin K do? woule be interesting to know and does it work with humans?

10. chickengrl

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Vitamin K is the antidote and it is used for humans too. Can't tell you chemically how it works but it helps blood coagulate (clot)better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by