1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ack... is this cocci???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by srfjeld, Jun 29, 2011.

1. srfjeld

srfjeld Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    I just got two new girls 2 days ago from a store using medicated feed. They are about 5-6 weeks old and have been eating like horses and having the healthiest poos I've ever seen, even compared to my girls. Then, just a few minutes ago I see this...

[​IMG]

So, what do you think? Cocci? Or that intestinal thingy?

Thanks!

2. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Also, they are separated from my other girls till I can integrate them.

3. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
  4. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    So hard to tell b/c it's so watery. I just found more. I just got them going on Sulmet, just in case! Both are drinking it just fine. Not sure who it is yet. I already have these to quarantined from my other girls so when I do figure out who it is, if it is cocci... I don't know how I'll separate them yet again. why oh why did I have to get two more birds??? I think someone is trying to tell me something.

5. csummer8882

csummer8882 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Rockingham County, NH
    Good luck! Wish I knew more to tell you! I am brand new to this and *knock on wood* haven't had to deal with this. My girls are almost 9 weeks old. I'm sorry and I hope all turns out ok! [​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I hope they make it through! I'm glad you have them separated from your existing flock. I'd be doing the se thing as you. I have a bottle of Sulmet unopened in my cabinet for something like this. Good luck!

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Cocci typically presents with lethargy before the bloody poop; I've never been a big proponent of treating unless you are VERY sure what you have going on...

If they have cocci, it is due to a wet environment...have they tipped their water over? Are their shavings damp/moist??

8. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    Nope, dry chips. This will be their second full day with me. The store I bought them from had them outside already so they were used to being on the ground. I have them in a dog kennel on my dining room table (space issue) next to my main brooder. I have been diligently scooping poop since they arrived. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the more "chill" of the two chicks, but only b/c she's a tad skinnier and lays around more. She just looks more comfortable to me. The first day I got them (Monday) I put them and my other girls all in the same run together to see how they'd react. My oldest girl pecked at the skittish one like crazy. That one still has lots of energy.

Hopefully it's nothing and will resolve, or the meds will work. At least they are both eating. I just lost one of my original girls the other day and I don't want to lose another.

9. srfjeld

May 13, 2011
    Portland
    btw, she did it twice this morning and none since...(yet?) if they have cocci, how often will they poop blood? And/or if intestinal lining, how many times in one day would they do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by