Ack! It's raining! My ducks are getting wet!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Okay, i know it's okay for them to get wet. [​IMG] Just wanted some advice about if i should be concerned that it's a bit chilly outside. They are almost 6 weeks old and have been living outside for about three weeks. The temps are in the high 50's, almost 60 degrees. Their day pen has umbrellas in spots and a large crate where they can get out of the rain, which is really only a drizzle. Some of them are swimming, some are in areas which are getting rained on, and some are snugging in the crate. No one looks like they're shivering. But just wanted reassurance that they are old enough to be okay in the water in these temperatures. i have their night pen on our patio where i can move them if this situation isn't good for them.

Here is a pic of them earlier today.

[​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Gorgeous group of ducks you have there. It almost looks as if they have their own little umbrellas on their heads with those huge crests.

They will get out of the pool or rain if they need to- Just make sure the night pen is nice and dry for them - and doesnt get too damp when they go to bed.

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    As long as they're feathered out you have nothing to worry about. Mine were playing in their pool the other day when it was 28 degrees.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thanks for the input. Now it's pouring and they're acting like everything is fine. At least they have a couple of dry areas to snug in. i do plan on roofing over half of the pen soon. Pondering putting their sleeping coop in there, or i may just keep their sleeping quarters on the patio to give them more room in the run. And, of course, they need a bigger pool!

Thanks, duckyfromoz, i love my crested ducks. They're so sweet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by