ACK!!! Long white worm wrapped around poo! Help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wise Woman, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Wise Woman

Wise Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    The Enchanted Forest
    This morning when I went out to feed and water the chickens, I found a piece of poo in one of the nest boxes that has a long white worm wrapped all around it. I think it is a worm. I have never seen anything like this in my 10 years of chicken keeping. They get apple cider vinegar everyday in their water. I have wormed my flock on occasion with Ivermectin, but this year I have a bunch of new chickens and have not wormed them, just gave the ACV. If someone knows what kind of worm this might be, I would appreciate knowing so I can do a search. I have to get ready for work, so I don't have time to search through a lot of posts right now. Thanks so much. I appreciate any and all help with this matter. I want to get the taken care of ASAP.

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Probably a round worm. Sounds like they need to be wormed again. I usually give them wazine, wait a few weeks then treat them with the ivermectin to get all the other stuff. You can do a search here on BYC to see what others are using. There is something else newer out to use in place of the ivermectin that some people say works better I can't think of the name of it right now but you will find it when you do the search.

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    As long as this thread is discussing worms, can someone tell me how chickens get worms in the first place? I've had chickens for five years now, and have never seen any worms in their poop. They are visible, aren't they?

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Long and skinny sounds like tape worms to me...

azygous - just like dogs/cats get worms from things they eat (including fleas), so do chickens...who sample just about anything that's not nailed down (and they usually even peck at that too...lol)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    is it weird that when i saw this title i was hoping for a pic? [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Quote:They can get them from any wild animal passing by, not saying that every wild animal has worms [​IMG]

7. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Quote:Uhhhhh, me too.

8. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    any pic? :)

9. mikeinri

mikeinri Out Of The Brooder