1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ack! Mass on the front of my chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by afj6710, Jul 1, 2011.

1. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I just noticed that some of my chicks have a large, round mass on the right front side of their chests - larger than a grape but not as big as a golf ball. DH says this is normal and that it is just their stomachs, that they just don't have the muscle to hold it in right yet. I've never noticed it before (my whole 3 weeks as a chicken owner) and haven't been able to check my other ones to see if they have it too.

Should I freak out or is this completely normal?

2. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    Pretty sure you are seeing a full crop. Make sure they have grit if they are getting anything but chick starter.

3. ouracrybaby

ouracrybaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Wellsburg
    Sounds like you're describing their crop. Some chickens have larger ones than others and it depends on how much they've eaten. I remember the first time I noticed Nuggets, I was right on here trying to diagnose too lol. Read about problems on here with crops, just so you know for future reference what can happen.

4. llaaadyel

llaaadyel Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Lower NY
    Sounds like they just have a full crop. Should go down by morning.

5. afj6710

afj6710 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    They do get chick grit, but I don't know how much of it they are eating. The floor of our coop is also dirt and they peck around a lot for bugs - is that helpful, too. I had just given them some apple when I noticed it. Is that why it was so big? They didn't really have that much apple.

I searched on here for "crop" and read some awful posts. [​IMG] now, I'm really scared. I'm completely freaked out about crop impaction and sour crop etc. At what point do I know if it is just a full crop vs an impacted crop that needs help?

6. SunnyChic

SunnyChic Keep The Sunny Side Up

Mar 7, 2009
    Check their crops tomorrow morning; they should go down through the night as the food digests. [​IMG] Full crops do look kind of weird! You may want to withhold the chick grit for a few days to see if that helps.

7. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    How much chick grit should they be getting a day? At this point I am still just sprinkling it on top of their starter crumbles not offering it in a separate feeder. Should I offer it free choice? They are 2 weeks old today.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  8. SunnyChic

Mar 7, 2009
    If you're just feeding them chick starter, they technically don't need chick grit. The starter feed is easily digested.

9. chicktwins

chicktwins Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I am following the instructions that were sent by McMurray. It says to start grit, sprinkled on feed, at 3 days old. I know if they are only going to eat the starter crumbles then you do not need the grit, but if they are going to be getting treats they do. So that being said, do I offer it free choice or just continue to sprinkle on top of feed? [​IMG]

10. SunnyChic

Mar 7, 2009
    Have the "bumps" gone down since yesterday? If I feed treats in addition to chick starter, I offer chick grit free choice in a separate container. I don't have it for my chicks that are outside with my broody hens, because I live in Florida and we have sandy soil.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by