1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Stuck my hand under one of my broodies last night to check the eggs and my hand came out covered in mites! i pulled the nest box out and swept everything up inside the coop (it's a converted playhouse). Sprayed the inside with Poultry Protector. Also sprayed each bird in that pen with the Poultry Protector and administered Ivermectin drops on the back of each neck. Gave the two broodies new boxes and hay.

Now, i didn't see the mites on any of the birds last night, and checked again today. But when i went to pick up their wooden nest box which i had moved to the side yard, the swarms of mites started migrating up my hand and arm. (ick) So i brought out the big guns and sprayed it very well with Adams Flea and Tick spray. Hoping that will kill the mites. If not, i may have to just ditch it.

i plan on repeating the Ivermectin drops in 7-10 days and again 7-10 days after that. Wondering if there is anything else i can/should be doing. For some reason this pen is the only one with the infestation (fingers crossed). And i'm wondering if i should take their eggs away from them or if it will be safe for them to continue to brood. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. DrChickenMom

DrChickenMom New Egg

Sep 10, 2009
    I had a problem with mites on some of my flock (twice - now I know to check new birds!) When they were broody, the chicks had a HIGH mortality rate (75% died) Makes the hens very sad. Until you get rid of the mites, I'd recommend ditching the eggs.

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh my, that's so sad! Was it that the chicks did not hatch, which makes me wonder if the mites effect the eggs. Or was it that the chicks died after hatching? Because i have broodies in other pens i can give the eggs to. i only have three eggs in with these ladies. i know at least one is fertile.

And, even after my efforts yesterday, we still have mites. Fewer, but still there. Not sure what to do next.

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Okay, i've been reading as many past posts on mites as i can. i took the three eggs away and candled. One was a quitter but two of them have heartbeats and movement. i looked them over carefully, checking for any mite movement and none was found, so gave them to a broody in another pen.

i dusted the pen floor and in the nest boxes with Permethrin 0.25% powder and put down new hay bedding. i sprayed the two broodies with Mite and Lice spray i got at Petco (0.03% pyrethrins) and then gave the whole pen some chopped up hard boiled egg. i actually did not have mites crawling on me when i had my hand under my broody this time, so perhaps this stuff is working. i realize i still need to spray down the entire coop, in every crack and crevice, but it's almost dark now.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One question is, so you just leave the permectrin dust on the floor and in the nest box? It won't hurt the hens to breath it in or get it on their feet?

5. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:Despite what poultry protector claims to do, it does not treat mites. It's an enzyme. What it does is it cleans away (some) mite eggs and that in turns disallows mites from hatching out as much. But it doesn't kill mites.

Mites live in the wood cracks, in the joints, under roosts, in nestboxes, and off of birds most of the time. They just travel to the birds to eat and drain their blood really. So in order to get the mites, you're going to have to spray the coops unfortunately. The best product for this is a product that is 10% permethrin - usually marketed as livestock lice spray, or goat lice spray. Industrial poultry houses actually dilute it and spray it directly on the bird - it's safe enough for that. But you will use it on the wood 3' up from the ground, on eyes in the wood, in cracks, and on the nestbox wood. Then use the permethrin dust (always read the active ingredient and make sure both are only "permethrin") on the ground under the bedding (just scrape aside, sprinkle lightly) replace the bedding and sprinkle it (stir in). You can also use on the birds, though ivermectin drop on will work for 3 days. But in 7 days when the mites are rehatching you will want to redo the treatment by dusting them with permethrin dust. HOpefully the Poultry Protector will have decreased the number of eggs (though it doesn't kill them - nothing kills the eggs, but the spray will immediately kill emerging mites that are hatching).

Since you've used Adams on the boxes, yo uwon't have to repeat those. But use the adams on the roosts - under the roosts. Glove up, use a paper towel, and spray it on the paper towels and wipe the roosts.

Also in the mean time, boost everyone's blood with some boiled eggs as a treat, maybe vitamin/electrolytes in the water to counteract anemia and dehydration.

Mites are a pain, but thankfully you caught them - they're quite tricky to catch!

6. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thank you so much, Nathalie for your time to post. From all i have been reading, you seem to be quite the expert on the subject.

i'm thinking this pen is effected and not the others as there isn't a solid roof over the run, just deer netting with a tree above it. i've had a ton of Magpies in my yard lately going after the feed, so any of their droppings would go straight down into this pen. i also suspect mice in the area. So i have some pvc panels to put up this weekend and some securing to do.

i have some of the permethrin 10% liquid you are talking about and will spray the coop tomorrow. i'm not seeing mites today, but will stay on top of it. i'm still freaked from having those mites crawling all over my hand. Those poor broodies. i should have caught it sooner.

7. threehorses

threehorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston
    Quote:Ah I bet the magpies brought the mites in. Wild birds are the most common source. But if you're like me, my bird-loving doesn't just end with poultry. I'm not the type to trap sparrows, etc. So I just have to deal with things and try to lure the wild birds away from the poultry the best I can. Your pvc panel idea sounds great!

And yes, I've met mites. I lost a bird that I had shipped in to mites. It was awful, the poor little guy. I was lucky in that I quarantined him and in a place where the mites really didn't have a place to go - I knew little about them then, but learned quickly that they can kill and they are annoying! I made it my mission to learn how to get rid of them the first time. I hope it works for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by