Ack - not turned for 24 hours

ScienceTchr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Sebec, ME
I have a brinsea octagon advanced 20 that I am currently using to incubate eggs in my classroom. There is a live feed cam on it all the time (not hugely interesting now but nice so I can monitor things from home when needed). I left my classroom Wednesday evening at 4:30 and the incubator was turning correctly (it rocks on a base for those not familiar with this incubator), that night when I checked the cam I noticed it hadn't moved from when I left the building. I thought something was wrong with the camera so I didn't worry too much (okay I lie I totally couldn't sleep worrying about my eggies not being turned all night). I figured if it wasn't turning I could fix it in the morning. Then I woke up to 12" of snow and no school with ice coming down - not traveling weather to get into school. I came in this morning and something had slightly dislodged the turning mechanism so it wasn't rocking the incubator at all - the eggs spent from 4:30 Wednesday until about 7:00 this morning on one side. We are on day 4 of incubation - should they be okay?

Phew, this is my new laying flock we're incubating and I would be really bummed if we lost the Dominique eggs. The temp has stayed constant we didn't lose power at all and these units do a great job keep the temp even in my classroom with hugely uneven temperatures (which is why I got this one donated they turn the heat way down at night in the building and my room can get down to below 60).

Back
Top Bottom