Ack! She can't fit through the door!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NicInNC, Jan 16, 2010.

1. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    I realized last night that my EE has been sleeping outside in the cold for the past two nights. I went to check on them around 9pm and she was on the ramp leading into the coop. I tried to gently push her up into the coop, but she wasn't going anywhere. I tried using a little force, thinking she was just stubborn and then I realized that she wouldn't FIT! She's gotten so big that she can't fit through the door. Poor girl! Guess I'll be doing come cutting today. I can't wait for spring because we're going to build this coop that I found on the forum here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=6385

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    LOL! Nice tornado / bomb shelter you've got there but where's the coop?

3. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    I love your coop but your feeder even more. It reminded me that I wanted to build one like it also. I think I'll get off my lazy but and do that this afternoon.

4. NicInNC

NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    The like I posted isn't MY coop. It's one that I found here on BYC and we plan on making one identical to it. I wish I already had mine! Thanks to whoevers coop it is though because I love it and can't wait to build one like it!

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    The things I would do different with that coop are:

1. Make it bigger

2. Put the nest boxes hanging on the outside so you don't have to go in to gather eggs.

... of course I'd put down linoleum on the inside for easy cleaning.

I have an 8 X 12 and I wish it were a 10 X 12.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by