ACK!@ She is laying in my garage!!! Why would she hide her eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Break an Egg, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    My EE just started laying Wednesday, the first egg was in the nestbox, but now she keeps jumping in the garage to lay her eggs. Today she laid one and stayed in the box covering her egg.

My husband said she may be trying to hide her eggs to hatch them. When I picked up the egg she didn't get mad, but she wasn't moving.

Do they normally hide eggs?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

she may be hiding them from other birds,,,,or the others may bother her when she's laying. and they dont normally hide them, unless their broody,,, or if theres a problem having them where you want her to.

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    We do have an aggressive roo and a good sized turkey in our flock.

My husband built them a great tractor and there are 5 nestboxes to choose from. Every morning it's like she can't wait to get out of there to lay her egg. lol

She looks so sad I can't help but let her out. Besides that she free ranges all day.

4. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    u cenm 2 have the same problem as we did r chicken lays n r garage 2
    [​IMG]:bun

5. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    not to be blunt but i didn't understand a word what the above poster said.

6. the1much

translation..::
    you seem to have the same problem as we did. our chicken lays in our garage too.

i should get extra credit for grammer..hehe [​IMG]

7. pixiechic

pixiechic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    North GA
    Quote:You definitely get extra credit for great translation skills, but not spelling. [​IMG]

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, chickens pretty much lay wherever they feel most comfortable. If she's hiding her eggs, it's probably not from you, but from another perceived threat.

8. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    I have 3 pullets that lay in the hen house but one that lays on the work bench on top of some old rags in there. She used to lay in the hen house but we've been finding them in the garage for about a month now???

9. the1much

Quote:You definitely get extra credit for great translation skills, but not spelling. [​IMG]

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, chickens pretty much lay wherever they feel most comfortable. If she's hiding her eggs, it's probably not from you, but from another perceived threat.

i was wondering how long it would take somebody to see that,,,,,i was LOL'N the whole time i looked at them red squigglies under it,, and hittin "submit" hehe [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by