Ack! temp spiked to 106.5, not sure how long. Think they will survive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FlashPointFarm, Mar 2, 2009.

1. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    [​IMG]
    please please please let them be ok!

Day 15, temp spiked to 106.5 when my turner burned up in my LG still air. I have 12 eggs in there that I just candled and saw movement on day 13.

Anyone have any experience with that much of a temp spike?

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I am so glad I replaced my LG, but before that I had a similar spike in temp fot several hours. My thermometer read 107 I was freeking out thought I had lost them all. Five days later I had a decent hatch so I think you should be ok.

LG's are notorious for not having consistent temps and some of the eggs may not have gone as high in temp as you think.

Dont stop, keep them set you will probably still have some hatch [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    "Disclamer" I have not hatched any eggs yet just know what I have been reading here. I thought you needed a response in youre moment of crises, so untill one of these awsome people that know much more then I answers all I can say is that there have been a few people who post with this problem and it looks like as long as it didnt stay to high for to long some people have had hatches after a temp spike so dont give up .
    Good luck [​IMG]

4. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    if the temp wasn't up to long, you should be ok. it takes a while to heat the inside of the eggs up so ......

i would leave them in and wait and see what happens.. [​IMG]

5. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Whew! What a relief! It was probably only for a couple of hours
    Thanks!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by