Ack! Two of my hens are getting plucked clean under their beaks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KelBelle, Jan 31, 2011.

1. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    What the heck!? Grrrrrr..........I noticed a little bit of a bald spot below one of my hens beaks the other day. It looked like the feathers were growing back and there was no injury or anything. I figured something odd happened and that it would be fine. I just went out the coop and found one EE on one roosting bar and BO on the nest one up and the BO was plucking her clean below the beak! She just sat there like it didn't bother her even. I split them up, but now what do I do? The wind calmed down so I opened the coop door in hope that this would distract the BO from the plucking. I found something elsewhere about beef tallow? Should I give them some? I have a bunch in the freezer that I could toss out there. The two that are missing feathers are EEs and it can be hard to see the bald spot unless they are looking up. What a bully. I want to smack that BO. Don't worry, I won't, but man this irks me.

2. littlemissjellyfish

littlemissjellyfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Maine
    What the heck!! My EE's beard is missing, too!! I haven't seen anyone picking on her. What's going on?!? Any ideas what happened to her beard?? Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  3. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    This happens sometimes with Ameraucanas and EEs. It's because they drink and get their beard/muffs wet, then they eat and get bits of food stuck on there... so they're basically wearing a snack on their face.

4. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. mdpfeifer

mdpfeifer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Creston
    The same things just happened to my EE also a couple of weeks ago. Will the beard grow back and when or how long? Does anyone know.

6. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Same thing with one of my EEs. Right after a frozen egg was half eaten. Hmmm? Wonder who it was? Lol

7. KelBelle

KelBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    I guess I am not going to worry about it now. They don't seem bothered by it and there are no injuries. It hasn't gone beyond the areas that have had food stuck to them either so I really don't think it is a bullying issue. Thanks for the replies!

8. mdpfeifer

mdpfeifer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Creston
    Quote:I feel the same way. I was feeling sick inside when I first saw my poor beardless baby but she is happy as can be and gets along great with my other three. Again....does anyone know how long or when the beard will grow back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by