Ackkk! gross ropey thing hanging from butt! UPDATE! GREAT NEWS!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, Dec 22, 2010.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    OMG! I went to clip some poopy butt feathers and was doing a general all around check and when I checked the butt of one of my BO's she had a poopy looking thing hanging from her vent so I went to clear it away, I thought it was just a runny poop and it was sort of ropey like (don't know how else to describe it) so I gently pulled and I pulled about 4" out [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. It looked like it was made of hair or feathers or maybe hay? Hope I didn't do the wrong thing but I cut it, not all the way but there is still something there. She didn't flinch or squawk or anything when I cut it so I don't think it is part of an internal organ. Has anyone seen this before? [​IMG] It really sort of freaked me out. Boy, I had no idea the education I would be getting when I decided to get chickens!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Something she got into and ate.Could even be a piece of twine or small rope.

3. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Should I still try to get it out by pulling gently, not forcefully. It seemed to be coming out pretty smoothly. Is it possible it could be twisted around any organs? Sorry to sound so dumb. Don't want to hurt my girl!

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Are you sure it is not tapeworms? If not, something she could have eaten.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I think I would give her a chance to expell it herself. Just keep an eye on her. Good luck!

6. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    how big would a tape worm be? I don't think so, when I cut it, it just sort of looked like an inanimate sort of thing, not alive or anything.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Just let her pass it on her own. Don't be upset by this, but hens are born with two ovaries...they only end up using one, and sometimes they shrivel up & get expelled from their vent...I'm thinking this MAY be what you are seeing. If so, the "rope looking" portion would be attached to a larger chunk of...something that looks equally as icky. But, if that's what it is, it'll pass right out without assistance from you. It's nothign to worry about!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:that would be my next guess!

I agree, let it pass on its own.

9. jeannieo

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Quote:THANK YOU! but if the ropey looking thing was attached to an ovary or something, as you say, "equally as icky", wouldn't it have bled when I cut it?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:THANK YOU! but if the ropey looking thing was attached to an ovary or something, as you say, "equally as icky", wouldn't it have bled when I cut it?

I doubt there would be blood because it is "dead," for the lack of a better word, if this is what it is. FYI; if it was a tapeworm, it would look like a cooked flat piece of macaroni with segments.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by