1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acorns???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by starforever61, Sep 15, 2009.

1. starforever61

starforever61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    I LOVE stepping on acorns and seeing the nut. [​IMG] In the fall, my mom can look outside and see me jumping all over the driveway in my cowboy boots. [​IMG] The nuts taste a bit bitter to me, but otherwise, they're good. [​IMG] Can chickens eat them? I just wanted to know, because we're getting them veeeeery soon and I wanna keep a bunch of acorns for them to munch on. [​IMG] lol Do you guys know??

2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I think acorns have a lot of tannins, so in the Little House on the Prairie days they used to have water run through them in the creek I think, to wash them well enough. Or I thought I heard they could be boiled or baked or something also, but I don't really remember. Maybe the tannins wouldn't be a problem for chickens anyway. Good question though! We have lots of pecans and walnuts, so I should find out if they can eat those too.

3. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

We have several large oak trees. The acorns are falling now. My chickens are eating them. They don't have to as there is plenty of grasses, weeds, apples, pears, tomatoes, table scraps, as well as their layer feed available. They are choosing to eat them, so I figure they know better than I do. [​IMG]

4. kartking22

kartking22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Acorns for chickens? Come on people. It's no wonder you didn't have many posts here. Anyone that has the time to stomp a tree full of acorns for thier chickens to peck at is nuttier than squirrel poop. The chickens are probably just looking for the bugs that are in the acorns. Acorns themselves are too big for a chicken to eat. They are not very big on the selective diet of the chickens. I would also guess that the bitter taste wouldn't be thier most favorite if they had a choice between acorns and that rare thing called grass or hay as some call it.

5. Chickn chick 46

Chickn chick 46 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Not sure about acorns, but reading about giving them marrow bones, fat and deer carcass, why not?? [​IMG] everything in moderation right? [​IMG]

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    From the BYC Rules :

12. We strongly discourage religious and political topics and reserve the right to delete them at our discretion. The topics of religion and politics should be confined to the “Random Ramblings” section of the forum.

Thanks! ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009
  7. edb

edb Chillin' With My Peeps

Acorns are the main food source for most wild turkeys. They are high in fats and Carbohydrates as well as contain protein, vitamins and minerals. The tanic acid gives it a bitter taste to us but I see turkeys with huge crops full of them.

8. edb

edb Chillin' With My Peeps

From the BYC Rules :

12. We strongly discourage religious and political topics and reserve the right to delete them at our discretion. The topics of religion and politics should be confined to the “Random Ramblings” section of the forum.

Thanks! ~Lisa~

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by