1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acorn's

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sfisher, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sfisher

sfisher Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    Will chickens eat acorn's??

2. NewGuineaChooks

NewGuineaChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    San Antonio, Texas
    Our chickens eat acorns. It's a bit problematic, because they seem to collect in the crop, not moving down to the gizzard where they can be ground up and digested. When I butcher roosters, they have a collection of acorns and caps in their crop, even if I've had them away from food for 24 hours.

3. Dana

Dana Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2007
    New Hampshire
    My chickens love acorns, but I try not to let them eat any because I read that the tannins in the acorns are bad for them.

NewGuineaChooks: I'm surprised that your chickens eat the caps as well, that seems like a very strange thing for them to eat.

4. sfisher

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    I'm building my pen under a big oak tree that drops alot of acorn's. Does anybody think it will be a problem? They will also free range in a 1/2 acre lot, that is almost all oak trees. Would extra grit help? The ground here is sandy, and I figured they would get enough grit in their crop that way.

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I have several oaks in and around my yard. I sometimes use oak leaves which contain acorns for litter. I have yet to have any problems from it. If your soil is sandy I think you are ok for grit too. I never give mine supplemental grit.

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Please send all your acorns to our farm for our piggies. They go ape for them.

7. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    We didn't have any acorns this year [​IMG]. The late freeze killed them all and killed one of our huge white oak trees. But,when we did get acorns,my hens loved the ones I would step on and squash for them.

8. sfisher

Jan 20, 2008
    Myrtle Beach
    I kinda figured a whole acorn, would be hard for a chicken to swallow. If they do like them, I hope their gizzard can grind them. It would save me alot of money, on feed.

9. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Mine normally just grab the acorn pieces that fall from the goats mouths.

10. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    The only acorns my chickens get are the ones the squirrells throw at them from the neighbors tree. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by