1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acquiring 'Farm' Supplies...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SterlingAcres, May 28, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've looked through TSC website and I like what I see, but our closest one is over an hour away.
    I'd like to buy welded wire for the goat pen and hardware cloth for the chicken run... as well as a few other items from the store. I know they ship and stuff, but I was wondering where you all get your stuff from?
    The hardware store here sells both, but is priced outrageously.

What other stores would sell things like farming supplies? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'd drive to TSC. An hour drive is nothing for us. We live in a rural area and have to drive an hour to a lot of places to get good stuff. TSC was my fave store ever but they don't have any around here:(

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:The hour drive would not be worth it to me. We're starting a homestead and I don't want to add a 2 hour driving trip to our schedule if I don't have too. We're already moving 10 extra miles away from my husband's job and I want to use as little gas as possible. LOL I was hoping someone could say 'you can find ___ at lowes and ___ at walmart' etc... Thanks though [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Feed store. (Might also be called a co-op). Ask local farming-type people.

Pat

5. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if they have several things you want to get.then its worth the drive to pickup the suplies.

6. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    I am a big believer in recycling an am currently trying to only use recycled materials. I post on craiglist and freecycle when we are getting ready for a new project and usually atleast one person will reply. Usually you have to take down the wire which is alot of work, but its cheap, or free and your keeping stuff out of landfills. If I have to buy something new I try to order through our local feedstore to support the smaller businessman. His prices are, alot of time, better than TSC too!

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Thanks Gwen. I googled local feed stores and thankfully found one within 18 miles of us. That's alot better than a 2 hour round trip to me.

ETA- Freecycle and Craigslist are a big time help around here. I'm trying to find as many used cabinets as I can, that are still in usable condition. I don't care what they look like if they're free. LOL

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2008
  8. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Wish you were closer I have a few old cabinets out in the barn that aren't being used. I never thought of listing them on freecycle. We are going to be cleaning all of that out in the next few weeks to move some big incubators in from a neighbor. I'll be sure and freecycle the cabinets maybe someone closer can use them [​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:Darn it! [​IMG]
    Well, definitely list them. You never know!
    We're redoing an old farmhouse that's lacking a kitchen. There's literally just a coal stove, a dirty oven and a non working fridge. No cabinets, no flooring, no sink, no countertops... nothing. We're going to check out the local Habitat for Humanity store to see what they have, if I can't freecycle/craigslist some items. I'd much rather reuse or recycle someone else's stuff. I'm not picky about what they look like, I plan to paint them all one color and be done with it. [​IMG]

10. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    You should check Lowe's for wire...that's were we go whenever Tractor Supply is out of stock, or we buy them out of what they have and still need more. [​IMG]

We try and recycle as much as we can, through Freecycle/Craigslist but most things we can use are usually located more than an hour and a half away.

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by