Acquiring rooster, what about quarantine?

PatinOxford

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 27, 2014
I am about to acquire a rooster (full grown) as a guardian for my flock. I plan on introducing him (per the advice I got here) to the grownup hens, and in about ... maybe two weeks mixing the four pullets (acquired as chicks in early February) into the flock. The acquisition is free, of the "I have too many roos!" persuasion, and he is a free-range type, which he will be here as well.

OK, so here's the real question. What, if any, quarantine is a good idea? What should I look for when I see him, that might be reason to say thanks but no thanks? FWIW, he is a Black Australorp. I don't actually have a good way to quarantine but can figure something out if absolutely necessary.

I am about to acquire a rooster (full grown) as a guardian for my flock. I plan on introducing him (per the advice I got here) to the grownup hens, and in about ... maybe two weeks mixing the four pullets (acquired as chicks in early February) into the flock. The acquisition is free, of the "I have too many roos!" persuasion, and he is a free-range type, which he will be here as well.

OK, so here's the real question. What, if any, quarantine is a good idea? What should I look for when I see him, that might be reason to say thanks but no thanks? FWIW, he is a Black Australorp. I don't actually have a good way to quarantine but can figure something out if absolutely necessary
It's best to quarantine any chicken before adding them into the flock.
Some things you may want to watch out for is the aggression. lots of people end up culling their roos because they are brutal to the hens or much too aggressive to people. Although Australorps are generally calm and docile, I know there can be exceptions to some breed characteristics.
Also, check for any signs of sickness(lethargy, not eating, etc.)

Have you read over this article? https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...nderestimated-part-of-raising-chickens.67097/

I introduced four pullets to my flock and followed the procedures outlined in this article. It saved me bunches of trouble. The birds I got were malnourished and only fed corn. That was my biggest issue. Getting them to eat something other than corn. They also had traces of mites. After months of them being quarantined I’m still having issues with them that I don’t have in my main flock. But I would suggest some things to look out for is if the owner already has the rooster boxed up and ready to go. The owner of my quarantine girls did that and I didn’t check them over before I left with them. Ask about what he’s fed and if you can handle him before taking him home.

Back
Top Bottom