Acquiring used coop: do I sanitize?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AmpersatChick, Feb 6, 2013.

1. AmpersatChick

AmpersatChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2013
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    Newbie here! We're getting ready for our May chicks. We have a used dog house and are going to be given a used chicken coop by a friend and are planning on combining them into one coop. They are both wood. Neither have been used by animals for 6 plus months. Will we need to sanitize either or both of these before adding our chickens? And if so, how? Thanks!

2. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    We are sanitizing ours ..kind of... I'm taking a pressure washer to the inside of my coop and then we will be removing the old dirt and putting in fresh. Their was some sort of animal flinging "something" on the walls and I just don't want to take any chances. I've been told on here especially if you know birds have used the coop before then it is best to clean it because disease can be transferred....and just gives me peace of mind anyway.

Good Luck with your chicks and be sure to post pics of your coop/run and of course chicks! :)

3. AmpersatChick

Jan 22, 2013
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    Thank you! I'll be sure to post pics...hopefully we'll get to work pretty quick and have the coop/run ready well before the chicks arrive!

4. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi there. I like to play super-safe so I would disinfect both. Here in Australia I use a powder called Virkon which is a broad-spectrum virucidal disinfectant. So kills viruses as well as bacteria. Just mix the powder sachet with 5L of water and spray all over the coop or whatever, then leave it to dry. I expect you'd be able to buy a similar product in the US.

Good luck with your new chickens!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  5. AmpersatChick

Jan 22, 2013
    Arkansas
    My Coop
    That sounds easy enough, I'll check into it, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by