Acting egg bound can't feel an egg

kingchickies

Songster
Mar 6, 2017
Texas
I went to open the coop this morning and one of my slw hens had her wings down and tail down. She's a yr old. I haven't spent much time out their this last week because it has been raining and cold. They spent 2 days in the coop for this reason. I watched her and she was walking like a penguin so I scooped her up and brought her in for a soak and to check her better. Her abdomin is soft. She ate a little and I put nutridrench in some water and she is drinking. What else should I check for. Eyes are good, comb and wattles are nice and red. Nostrils are clear. No mites or lice. All other flock members seem fine. Thanks for any info..

How's her breathing? And how is her poop? Is it solid, or runny? Have you checked her feet for bumblefoot?

Breathing is fine, feet are fine. Poop was fine but she's been mostly drinking all day so now it's runny. She did eat some scrambled eggs, half of the little bowl of feed. But has drank alot. I'm putting nutridrench in it. Her abdomen isn't swollen or fluid filled. She's alert. She looks at us. I have her in a tote with shavings. She stands and moves around and lays back down. Legs seem fine, joints seem fine. I have no idea what else. They were wormed in the fall. Was going to wait til end of next month to worm again.

The excessive thirst makes me wonder about her kidney health.
However, it is also a sign of worms. And even though you wormed recently, a wet and cold spell like those 2 days can bring on worms.
I would suggest giving her probiotics.

This week has been raining everyday, some days got down to freezing. Today was close to 70. I'm in Texas. Always crazy. Should I even consider worming her with her in this state though? Thinks for your suggestions

20180225_190048.jpg
This is how she's been since we brought her in. I soaked her in warm Epson salt water for 20 mins, dried her with a dryer then we fixed her up in here. She stands and eats and drinks for a min then lays back down. I don't know if you can tell how puffed out she is. Wings out to the side and top of butt feathers standing up. When she was walking around this morning it looked like a penguin waddle. But she just sits there looking around..

I would not worm her in this state. It might cause more harm than good. Instead, I would give her probios, as that will boost her immune system.
You could also give her about a tablespoon of dried oregano mixed into her feed for a natural antibiotic.
Could you get a picture of how she stands and/or walks? From the side.

20180225_195257.jpg
This is standing. She's very stiff when walking. Will only take a step or 2. I have save a chick packets is that what your talking about? I figured the nutridrench would be better.. sorry for all the questions. She is my daughter's and one of our more friendly hens. I lots a roo last fall he got down and I found his skin crawling with lice and couldn't pull him back. Just hate to loose her.. Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom