Acting strange, no signs of sickness?

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
What do you do when you find a chicken acting strangely but don’t see any possible cause?

My Welbar chicken is about 7-8ms old and has been puffed up today acting like she’s cold (it’s not cold here currently). The past week or so I’ve noticed she’s kept more of a distance from the other 3 in our small flock and doesn’t seem to be interested in scratching when outside with the others. I haven’t noticed any bullying, and when I look her over I don’t see signs of respiratory illness, lice, mites, bumble foot, or crop issues. She still isn’t laying, but the other 2 born on the same day (different breeds) only just started within the last week or two. She has a more pale comb, but I wouldn’t say that’s out of the ordinary, she just hasn’t gotten much redder yet. I’ll have to look at her poop tomorrow during the day. They were all dewormed about 4 months ago. She’s always been on the more flighty side, but within the past week she’s also been calmer when I pick her up (Except today she seemed more angry to be picked up).

What would you do (besides the vet)? I have things on hand - rooster booster, nutridrench, selenium and vit e… as well as lots of remedies for different sicknesses or ailments. I just don’t want to give her things unnecessarily… but also know they can hide sickness really well.

Can you separate her and give her 2 ml of Poultry NutriDrench, and then ofer her some usual chicken feed mixed with water? Scrambled egg is also good. Try to get her drinking. Does she feel as if she has lost weight? Is there any enlargement of her lower belly between her legs? Have you seen any shell-less or broken eggs in the coop? Hopefully, she is getting ready to lay soon, but she could have some sort of a reproductive disorder.

Can you separate her and give her 2 ml of Poultry NutriDrench, and then ofer her some usual chicken feed mixed with water? Scrambled egg is also good. Try to get her drinking. Does she feel as if she has lost weight? Is there any enlargement of her lower belly between her legs? Have you seen any shell-less or broken eggs in the coop? Hopefully, she is getting ready to lay soon, but she could have some sort of a reproductive disorder.
I’ll check those things tomorrow. I’m not sure if she’s lost weight, she’s always been my skinniest girl. She still eating and drinking that I can tell. No broken eggs anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom