1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acting strange..... Worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by freerange4hens, Oct 15, 2013.

1. freerange4hens

freerange4hens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    So one of my chickens appears to be molting, or so I think... She is losing feathers like crazy, but I also can not tell if they are just breaking off either.. She is eating, drinking fine, forging the yard with the others normally, her comb is red, her eyes look clear... The only thing is she hasn't laid (nor have the rest of them) in at least a week. She also is very thin and seems to walking lower to the ground and sideways and is looking slightly more lethargic then normal too. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The first big molt takes place at around 18 months and yearly thereafter. Some chickens look terrible during a molt, and others hardly look different. Check the base of her feathers especially under the vent for lice eggs. They are white patches. These may be feather mites which will destroy the feathers. She also may need worming or have mites, which affect egg laying. Valbazen or Safegard goat wormer are two excellent wormers, and Sevin dust is good for lice or mites.

3. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Here are the some pictures of my Delaware that concerns me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Thank you! I did just post a few pictures of her too..

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? That looks like molt.

6. biaj069

biaj069 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Well they look better than one of mine who has a bare butt at this moment. Unfortunately they all molt a bit different and some take longer. Good luck :)

7. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    They are about 16 months old. She's just walking really funny and looks unstable on her legs. Leaning to one side, hoping to catch her balance, walking low and sideways, def just doesn't look normal.

8. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    It's almost like she's trying to walk straight, her head is pointing where she wants to go, but her legs and body pull her to the side, so she makes a big circle before she gets where she wants to go.. :(

9. freerange4hens

Jan 1, 2013
    Michigan
    Her butt is pretty bare.... and she seems to run normal too. I just can't figure it out. I guess I will dust them and deworm them to just be safe and sterilize the coop just to be sure. Not really sure what else to do for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by