Acting strange

chickenmantom

Hatching
May 5, 2017
So my gen is acting strange, laying around and not moving too much. Seems alert, eats and drinks. She has a weird irritation(I think) on her underside. Any advice is helpful

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Check her over for any signs of lice/mites.

Laying around can be a number of things, if you have vet care that would be best. It looks like she has worn off some feather on her belly, this can be from the laying around, getting rubbed off while roosting, etc. Some hens have some sparse feather there.

I would say she has gone broody. She has moved around a bit today, still staying close to the nesting boxes though. Hoping for the best at this point.

If you think she's broody, here is a link to some info on how to recognize it: http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/01/so-youve-got-broody-hen.html
You can either let her sit on and hatch some fertilized eggs, or you can break her. Some suggestions in the article above. I use a wire crate. Usually takes several days to a week to "change her mind". Some hens will break quickly and some can be very stubborn about it.
It's a good idea to break them if you aren't going to let her hatch for all the reasons in the link above.

Back
Top Bottom