1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acting strange!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by srlkll02, Aug 7, 2014.

1. srlkll02

srlkll02 New Egg

May 25, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Sorry so many pictures! We are new chicken owners. One of our hens who has not started laying yet but should start this month has been acting funny. In the pictures you can see her tail is down all of the time, when we put feed out she stands to eat for a bit then lays down and still eats. While all the others are walking around feeding. She does move from place to place to lay down. She does move fast at times but then also looks like she walks slow sometimes. Every night she still roosts with the others. I put a picture of some poop not sure if it was her or not but it's the only one like that in the coop and the run and it was in the place where she has been hanging out lately. Again I'm guessing on that but it does look different then all the other poop. My husband looked at all the other chickens butts and they are all pulsating and hers is a very little bit and mostly looks tight so he took a glove and rubbed some Vaseline on her butt. Seemed to get it going a bit. The coop is very clean we have Easter eggs in the boxes to show them where to lay. I need help what is wrong with her?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would treat for coccidiosis with Corid or amprollium. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid (or 1 to 1 and 1/2 tsp of the powder) per gallon of water for 5-7 days, as their only source of water. After treatment is finished give them some vitamins and probiotics for several more days. When that is all done, I would worm them all with SafeGuard or Valbazen.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It would only be a guess without lab work.
    How old is the bird and at what age did you switch to layer feed?

I would make sure the feces in question is from the lethargic bird and have the fecal read before I'd jump to conclusions about what could be wrong and prophylactically treat for a phantom problem.

It would be advisable to quarantine her.

4. srlkll02

srlkll02 New Egg

May 25, 2014
    What do you use to quarantine her? She is around 5 months old and has been on layer feed since the June .

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A dog cage or a pen in the garage or basement. Anything to get her away from the rest of the flock in case she's contagious.

One should always have a place to quarantine for injuries, illness and new birds.

6. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    To separate my chickens I use a dog crate one of those that is about 2 feet by 4feet. In the house I use a big rubbermade[ container with a heavy screen over the top of it. I have even used an oven rack and a cardboard box when I had more than one in the house.

Last night one of our BO 6 month old had to come in she was droopy like yours ended up having a crushed egg inside she was having trouble expelling. She got wet mash with calcium, vitamins and crushed garlic. Besides a warm water Epsom salt soak. With a bite of massage she expelled it on her own didn't break until it came out. Was crushed inside of her. She is the most active running jumping bowling everyone over to see her droopy was out of ordinary.

Check your girl over very throughly could be an egg problem or cocci. /SIZE]

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by