Activated Charcoal, Colloidal Silver and other various remedies..........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mom2Sav, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Mom2Sav

Mom2Sav Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Hi There,

Just wondering if anyone uses either Activated Charcoal in their feed or water? Also I've read great things about using colloidal silver to prevent or treat illness and keep the water pure. I use both of these personally on myself and indoor pets. I've seen a video on Youtube about chickens being isolated and given pure colloidal silver to drink. It's great stuff. I happen to have my own generator and make it for family and pets. We are inheriting 15 chickens as soon as our coop is finished so I intend to use both of these as well as diatomaceous earth and food grade h2o2. I highly suggest anyone with sick chickens to look up some videos on youtube to see the results others have gotten from CS. At the very least these products are being used by many in food/water and health maintenance for livestock and poultry.

2 people like this.
  2. Leihamarie

Leihamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    I haven't used activated charcoal but I do use silver hydrosol, apple cider vinegar and garlic in rotation to keep my girls healthy and their immune system in full gear! DE is a mixed bag of whether it's safe or not. I use it OCCASIONALLY and in VERY slight amounts. I add it to their dust bath once a quarter with lots of sand to prevent mites which so far has not seemed to induce respiratory symptoms.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mom2Sav

Oct 30, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I eat immense amounts of garlic so I can definitely testify to the value of that. I always add garlic to my eggs anyway. I was thinking of using it with the chickens. Interesting about the DE as I haven't read anything negative. I guess all things in moderation. I know it has kept my cats and dogs from getting fleas etc. I do put it in their food mashed up with everything else. I use it a lot, food grade of course. I'm new to chickens and don't even have mine yet. My husband is finishing up the coop. What do you do for the dust bath? That isn't something I've looked into yet. What would I need to do? Thanks [​IMG]

4. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    regarding the garlic, this is my favorite guide to using garlic with poultry: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/05/raising-chickens-naturally-garlic-with.html

I like that it gives preparations of garlic (mostly crushed) and uses and steeping times, etc...

Regarding the dust bath, I have a large metal tub that I put soil (if it's not coming directly from the yard, I only use bagged sterile poop free organic soil like Eco Scraps or Dr. Earth), children's playground sand (it's usually cleaner) and occasionally I'll put a very small amount of food grade DE in it and mix it in really well, wetting it JUST slightly to give it a teeny bit of cling so it doesn't get as airborne. Chickens have REALLY sensitive respiratory systems and while many people have used DE for eons and eons with their chickens to no ill effect, others have had increased respiratory issues in the flock until DE was eliminated from the routine. I kind of take a middle ground approach and so far so good. Although... I spend all this time perfecting their dust bath and they OFTEN just go make their own in my garden beds, or wherever they feel the dirt is prime bathing dirt, LOL!!!! here's an article that I love on dust baths: https://hencam.com/henblog/2013/02/safe-dust-baths/

One word about soil- If you are adding any soil to your property, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make SURE it has not been around chickens, and contains no chicken manure. I made the TERRIBLE mistake of importing premium organic soil for my raised garden beds from a nursery that has a large chicken flock on site. 10 weeks after I brought my chicks home, 2/3 of them died from Marek's disease. It could've been brought in from anywhere, but the soil is the most likely culprit. Luckily, while Marek's is still a possibility where you are at, it doesn't survive that well in areas that experience a hard freeze so it's less likely that you will ever have an issue with it like we have where I'm at in San Diego, but importing soil is always a bit dicey when it comes to chicken-keeping unless you know for sure what it contains.

How exciting that you're getting your first chickens!!!! Do you know what breeds?

1 person likes this.
  5. Mom2Sav

Oct 30, 2016
    Massachusetts
    They are RI Reds and NH Reds. Wow, that's too bad about the soil. Thanks for the links. I'm going to look those over. I put 4 cloves in my avocado salad tonight, lol. I must have an iron stomach because I never have ill effects from eating too much garlic. I hardly every have garlic breath either (or have never been told, lol.) The dust bath seems complicated. What kind of chickens do you have?

6. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    hahaha... dust baths are not so complicated as we all like to make them. They will find their own if they don't like the one you provide as long as they have access to dirt, lol!

I have 2 EE, 1 BR and an Australorp. :)

7. Mom2Sav

Oct 30, 2016
    Massachusetts
    Ok, I guess I can relax then. Thanks. What is BR?

8. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    BR is Barred Rock. She's my fave. Her name is Mabel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Leihamarie

Jul 28, 2016
    San Diego
    also, here's Mabel and Matilda making their own dust bath in my yard.

[​IMG]

10. Mom2Sav

Oct 30, 2016
    Massachusetts
    OMG.......She is so cute! Love that first shot. What a love!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by