Active Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WestVermont, Dec 31, 2012.

1. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Here is a foolish question for you.... My dominant roo Kelloggs has started attacking or ie trying to mount my hens... now that he is 15+ weeks will he keep doing this or just a random thing? also when does he become fertile? What do you do with your roos.... keep him with his girls or keep them apart til you want to breed?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Oh, he'll keep doing it and will perfect his technique somewhat. Right now he's like an obsessed teen aged boy. If the pullets are the same age as him, they will be somewhat resistant to his advances as they are still sexually immature. If he can 'make contacct', a cockerel his age can fertilie eggs.

3. mtnviewfarms

mtnviewfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 8 cockerels and and 36 pullets - all were raised together and are 8 months old - with the
    exception of my 'primary' Roo - Giblet - from my previous flock of BRs. There are minor squabbles but Giblet is 'the boss' and all other cockerels fall into line behind him.

I keep the cockerels with the pullets, love to see all of the social and other interactions but yes,
    it seems all my flock does is mate, eat, crow and do the egg song, lay eggs and poop and provide
    the best entertainment I've seen in decades.

Since I have multiple heritage breeds together if I want to have pure breed hatching eggs I just
    put my best of whichever breed in a large pen ( takes a month until all the other 'donors' fertilization is gone ) and let them breed.

1 person likes this.
  4. WestVermont

WestVermont Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2012
    Bennington, Vermont
    Thanks for the insight.

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The only way that rooster's gonna stop trying to breed hens is if he's dead. Roosters gotta mate.

What I think is funniest is when our subordinate roos are sneaking around behind the dominant roo's back mating his hens on the sly. They wait until his back's turned and then GO FOR IT!!!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A true 'quicky'. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by