Activia Yogurt??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CinnamonQueen12, Aug 12, 2011.

1. CinnamonQueen12

CinnamonQueen12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    I have a chicken that just sits under the coop all day and refuses to eat. I'm a little worried. She is on antibiotics for severe bumblefoot and I'm wondering if the antibiotics are making her feel sick. I have given her Greek yogurt before but I'm wondering if it's possible to give her a little bit of the activia flavored yogurt for her digestive track? Would that be alright? Also, she hasn't laid an egg for 18+ days, and I'm concerned about egg binding. I don't know if I should mention this, but her poop is green..... not sure if that tells you anything, but I might as well throw that out there! [​IMG]

2. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    I'm honestly not sure but I sure hope someone comes along to give you some advice. Here is a bump for you, good luck!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If she is on an antibiotic she deff. needs to be on some kind of probiotic. I would feed the plain greek but if you don't have it then by all means try her on the flavored. There is probably alot of sugar in it so I wouldn't give it to her regularly. The green poop is from not eating. Antibiotics can make a person feel sick to their stomachs so more than likely thats the problem. is her bumble foot healing. What is the antibiotic? If she is fighting infection that could be why no egg. Her body is trying to fight the infection off. How does her vent look and her abdomen?

4. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    The antibiotics are: Tribrissen Oral Suspension and Metacam Oral Suspension. One is an antibiotic and the other is an anti-inflamatory, but were not sure which is which, the bottles are not labeled. As for the bumble foot, the vet cut the feet open (she has it on both feet) and removed some pus. [​IMG] One foot is healing nicely, but the other is still very swollen, so we have a follow up visit for next week. Is it possible that the bumblefoot went systematic? The vet said that she had seen worse, but the foot is still so swollen, and when I rebandage the wound, I try to see if more pus squeezes out, but the only thing I see is her swollen tendons in the foot. So yes, she is still fighting an infection. Her vent looks fine, and as for the abdomen, I don't know where that is. [​IMG]

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Poor little girl... Activia would be fine I have fed it to mine before, and your right the antibiotic mess anyone's stomach up.. does she like rice and or noodles.. the Orzo pasta is good its shaped little like rice but has lots of good carbs that she needs now and would be easy on a upset stomach.

does you vet have you soaking her foot in Epson salts.. I would suggest that when you re-bandage each night it takes the swelling down it feels wonderful on anything sore and its safe for open wounds.. it should help her healing process.. I would do warm water and the salts , wrap her in a towel and watch a little tv together while she soaks.. [​IMG]

good luck to you and her both

)O(
    Pink

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Stomach down around the vent area, I'm sure she is just not feeling well from the infection and it's not egg binding especially if her vent looks normal. Can you soak her foot in some watered down betadine or epsom salt water, that may help with infection and swelling. Chicken pus is tuff like cottage cheese and kinda yellow looking, I just treated one of my hens for it but hers was minor. But what i got out was not normal looking pus like us humans have. Since you have already had her treated by the vet why not give them a call and see what he thinks. About her not eating and the amount of swelling your still seeing.

7. CinnamonQueen12

Jul 20, 2011
    Good to know about the orzo pasta and activia. I occasionally soaked her feet, but now I will do that every day. Thanks for the help. I was wondering if garlic is good for them, too, if they're not feeling well?

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:You might try putting a little in with the yogurt, Myself I can't imagine eating garlic if I was sick to my stomach, but thats just me and I love garlic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by