1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Actuator arm opener/closer?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bryanw20, Mar 5, 2013.

1. bryanw20

bryanw20 New Egg

Mar 5, 2013
    I'm in the process of rebuilding my coop for a new flock due in a few weeks.

I'd love to have an auto open/close coop door; I don't have $200 for the awesomeness of the pullet-shut (with the auto re-open feature, Nice!)

But I do have a satellite actuator arm, can run on 12vdc, about 18" travel. In the closed postion would be strong enough to keep critters out!

I'm just not smart enough to automate it. How do I run it one direction to the limit; then the other at the end of the day? Is it that much harder to have it work on a photo cell/sensor?

I figure I can get a 12vdc powersupply and/or battery to drive the motor; it has limit switches to cut it off at the end of travel; just stuck on the power & revesing polarity on a timer... I do have an old dish mover box too, it has East - West buttons to move the arm; but that's a manual process. If I could incorporate this I would, or other ideas?

I've seen several posts about suggesting using an actuator arm; but haven't seen anyone post actual results.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Bryan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by