acurite digital thermometer\ hydrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Danny81577, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Danny81577

Danny81577 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Fredericksburg,VA
    I just puts acurite digital thermometer in my still air hova bator and noticed it was saying that the factory thermometer that came with the hova bator was reading 7 degrees low. Has anyone else experienced this ?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I didn't use the factory paper thin thermometer that came with my Hova, I threw it out, I've always been told they were not reliable. I only use the Accurites and Springfield digital Thermometer/Hygrometers.

Are you just starting it up to see how it runs or have you set eggs yet?

3. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Not sure if you accurite is correct or not but you can test the one that came with bator. Put crushed ice and cold water in a glass put thermometer in and see if it goes to 32 degrees . If it is off either way you can move the thermometer to line up with 32 and tape it in place. Now it should be correct and you can compare with the accurite.

4. Danny81577

Danny81577 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Fredericksburg,VA
    I decided to try a different thermometer after I had read another post about someone having the same problem. I was 6 days into incubation when I tried it now I have the ACurite digital in there holding a steady 100 degrees and they are still developing.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG]

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Make sure you are measuring from the same spot. My still air measures as much as 6F different from the side to the middle. My digital and the thermometer that came with my incubator read exactly the same when set on the table next to each other but the digital on the side of the incubator will read 96-97F while the other reads 100-102 in the center on the eggs. I've found that's perfect for me and my hatches have all been right on time. Digital will also reflect changes faster so when the heater comes on and goes off the digital will change by up to 1-2F where other kinds will not or at least will be several minutes behind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by