1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Acurite thermometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hooterville, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to set my eggs in the morning and have been using the Acurite to monitor temps and (I thought) humidity.
    My DS tossed the manual and now I think I have this set up wrong! :eek:
    Does the whole thermometer go inside the incubator or just the sensor?
    Where do you put it in the Hovabator with turner?
    Thanks and I sure hope someone knows!! [​IMG]
    Becky

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The probe ONLY reads temp, not humidity, sorry. You could lay it on top of the eggs, or get a separate, smaller hygrometer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  3. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I have it in there now and am trying to get the humidity up, Right now it's just at 38%--temp is good and I've added water. Hoping to be good to go in the AM. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Good luck! One thing to remember is that even if this time the AcuRite is right on the money, later on, after being enclosed in a wet steamy environment, it may no longer be correct. Just check it out before each incubation. In fact, open it up take out the battery and let the insides dry out. I have two of those and now, after numerous batches of eggs, the hygrometer reads about 10% too low. The probes seem more accurate than the body sensor for some reason, at least on mine.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    38% isn't too bad for the first 18 days...anywhere from 40 to 50% the first 18...if your humidity is anything like mine is on this side of the mountains shouldn't be hard to keep it in that range....

Wal-mart has nice little Springfields temp/hygrometers that I use and have no problems with them...I just change the batteries and dry out the springfield after every hatch..I use both an Accurite and Springfield in my incubator....

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:what section of the store did you find the Springfields in? I only found the accurites at my wal-mart.

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I put my acurite right up next to the side of the incubator. setting on the edge of the turner I lean it against the side of the bator so I can see it. That way it doesn't have to be bounced around on top of the eggs.

8. speckledhen

My little white Springfied was in hardware, but it's terribly inaccurate. I have a silver Springfield with big numbers which did have a suction cup for sticking it on a window, but after numerous incubations, it reads 2 degrees too low on the temp, however the hygro part is still fine. Here's my Springfield. I found it at Home Depot, but haven't seen them since.
    [​IMG]

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I have the exact silver one too, mine reads 2 degrees too low too! Must be something up with that model

Krista

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I found the Springfield in hardwares in the section where weather thermometers are kept....I have two that I keep on hand...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by