ACV - Details?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ParadiseChickens, Jun 29, 2011.

1. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Ok, so I got the ACV w/Mother. How much per gallon of water and what specifically does it do for them?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I use 1 tbs per gallon. Not sure what it does for them but it's supposed to be good so I go with it.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Silly question but why did you buy it if you didn't know what it does or how to use it? I'm certainly not trying to pick on you here. Just kind of curious what you were thinking when you made that purchase. 1 tablespoon per gallon. It is a natural de-wormer and also helps to keep your waterer clean (a lot less green algae). Do not use in galvanized waterers. I only use it in plastic waterers.

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I read all the posts and saw all the claims but honestly, I don't know if it really works for all that and there were so many different reasons people used it. The main reason I started was because I was getting slimy water deposits and it has helped with that but that isn't really a chicken health thing.

5. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    I bought it because every other post on here says put ACV in the waterer but they dont really say why. I know I could have researched but you still get alot of stuff that doesnt get to the point. Sorry if I bothered you.

6. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:Well said. (the way I read that, it sounded like he actually was bothered by your purchase, but maybe he meant well)
    I just started using it too, due to algae buildup in my plastic waterer. I don't know if it's made a difference yet though. What I wouldn't do is worry too much about measuring EXACTLY one tablespoon or teaspoon, or whatever they all say. I cleaned out my waterer yesterday and poured what I felt like, was 2 tablespoons. I have a 3 gallon, but usually only fill it to 2 1/2. Be reasonable, and your chickens will survive!! [​IMG]

7. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Use one tablespoon per gallon. It kills algae in the water and is a natural wormer for the chicks. But it MUST be organic ACV. The pasteurized artificially colored stuff you
    buy on the grocery shelf is useless. I use Bragg's Organic ACV, available in the health food section of Kroger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by