ACV, garlic and other 'supplements'?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DreamsInPink, May 3, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I just finished reading an article on sour crop and it talks about giving ACV in the water to keep the body alkaline versus acidic and adding a smashed garlic clove to the water can be beneficial as well to fight bacteria and strengthen the immune system.

Is there any real scientific basis for these statements??

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Garlic most defintly doesnt hurt chickens.

Chopped up is how it is performed.It releases the good vitamins and stuff that way The chicken chick has a whole article on it.

3. DreamsInPink

Yeah, I know it's not going to hurt them. :) I just didn't know if there were any obvious benefits?

4. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Lots.Keeps the poop and coop fron stinkibg (gives it extreme better smell) keeps parasites off fron them and from in them and helps fight bad resporitory disease coming in.

5. DreamsInPink

But how/why does it do these things? I am not trying to argue with you, trust me. :) I just want to know if it's worth my time, cost and effort.

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    When ut is chopped up it realses a very powerful strong med that puts into effect and basically makes the immune system better.Why I am not sure.

7. DreamsInPink

Maybe I need to look up that article you were talking about by the chicken chick. She has some practices that I don't really agree with though, so I try to be careful how much of her info I take to heart. I suppose I might be able to find some other info on the internet.

You say it releases a medicine... that is what I'd like to have scientifically substantiated. :)

8. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    yes i searched several times before using the garlic.They have been eating it for about a month or so now and have been more active and love it.

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    There are lots of testimonials on the internet, but not a lot of scientific backup for them. 'No harm done" about covers it. Mary

10. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    If you look up anti microbial properties of garlic you can find a lot of studies done on it, though not on chickens that I am aware of.

It makes sense that as an addition to a healthy diet it would be good. I would not rely on garlic alone to treat a case of parasites however. I'd also be careful about how much garlic (or any plant in the onion family) is given, again i haven't seen studies done on chickens, or birds in general, but large amounts can cause a loss of red cells in some animals, such as dogs. If cooked it causes less issues, however, I'd hazard a guess the properties loss during cooking maybe the same ones which kill parasites.

I don't add it to my chickens diet as a regular thing, however if I make something that has garlic in it for the family and I'm giving out left overs I will share with them and not worry. The only thing I worry about from my regular cooking and don't share is things with avocado's or chocolate in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by