ACV in chicks water

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chocobroc, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    My chicks are arriving next week [​IMG] I heard its good to put apple cider vinegar in their water for probiotics or something another. Anyway, if this is true, how much do I use?

2. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I have one of those plastic waterers with the red base and a half gallon holding tank. I've been using a capful of ACV "with the mother" (you have to buy the organic stuff). I understand I could use more than that. I asked the same question and got answers from a couple of Tablespoons per gallon to a couple of teaspoons per gallon.

Quote:

3. birdparadise

birdparadise New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Tampa Bay area, Fl
    Definetely good to use apple cider! It's natural, it's edible! Don't worry too much about quantity, it's hard to overdue it.

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    If you just have a pint jar waterer, just a few drops will do.

What it does, basically, is set up optimal conditions in your chicks for them to absorb nutrition. Its not a 'magic pill' or anything; think of it as a supplement that along with the right food, water, temperature and care helps to keep your chicks healthy.

5. Chocobroc

Chocobroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Eastern, NC
    Thank you everyone for the responses... I know I can always count on my BYC peeps! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by