ACV or organic ACV?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chirpchirp, May 9, 2009.

1. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    hello everyone, question - i have been reading about the benefits for ACV for chicks, however, some posts say to use organic ACV or will plain ole everyday ACV do too...? also, how much per gallon do you put it in and how often do you give it? i am anxiously awaiting 25 chicks coming in june and want to know as much as humanly possible! thanks for your help - this site (and its members) is AMAZING!

2. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I was wondering that myself since I haven't been able to find organic or natural ACV anywhere. All that the stores carry around me is normal AVC.

Bluemoon

3. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    You can find it online and for pretty cheap. Then you can have it shipped to your door [​IMG]

4. Kezzie

Kezzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Coastal Georgia
    It doesn't have to be organic but it does have to be non-pasturized (also called natural). It will have a big blob in it called the mother. If you have a GNC store near you or any other health food store, they will carry it.

5. most any store that has an organic section will carry it, if not ask the manager to please order the natural with the mother in the bottom. Miss Prissy told me how to make my own so I now have a gallon jar in the closet fermenting. reg acv doesn't seem to work. Do you have a krogers in your area or Safeway I think they both have a natural food section, If not any natural health store like gnc will carry it marrie. I have found that it works great for arthritis pain to.I just pour some in my raspberry tea and hardly taste the difference,

6. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    This is something I have not heard of, what is it? uses?

7. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:We don't have a kroger near us. We live out in the middle of nowhere. The only stores near us don't have an organic section either. I've never seen a safeway in Michigan, at least where I am anyway.
    I am interested in how you make your own [​IMG] If anyone could PM me the recipe I would be greatful [​IMG] I make all my own yogurt and cheese when I have the time, so making my own ACV shouldn't be a problem. We have some apple trees on our property, so I won't even have to buy the apples.

Please let me know [​IMG]

Bluemoon

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  8. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    i don't know where you are in livingston county, but in the southeast portion of the state, there are several whole foods markets and one trader joe's. both would have natural acv.

(i know this because i live on the west side, and i drive to ann arbor every quarter to stock up on stuff!)

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    The very best ACV is Bragg's with the mother in it. There is absolutely nothing better!

Laurie

10. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:It makes the digestive system more acidic, making it easier for good bacteria to grow. It also acts as a natural antibiotic and will discourage the growth of salmonella bacteria in the water. If you get the kind with the 'mother' in it, then it'll also have the natural enzymes and trace elements that do wonders for birds.

You can get natural kind (like White House) and it will still be beneficial to the birds. Then there's the organic kind with the blob of 'mother' in the bottom of the jar, which is even more beneficial due to those trace elements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by